Bonsai-A-Thon XXI, February 25 & 26, 2017

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Say hi if you see me. I'm wearing a grey shirt with a blue logo.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Had a good time talking to Dick Ryerson and Phil (can't quit remember his last name). Bought one of this pots--had to leave with something ;) Saw Colin Fraser there but didn't meet any other nutters. I might be there tomorrow morning just for the demos.
20170225_140713.jpg

The Fraser caught staring in the background :eek:
bonsaipic.png

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why in the hell does everyone have a picture of Colin? I think he is making a hi-level deal on his phone with a proxy bidder on a tree yet to be disclosed.
DSC_0058.JPG

Nathan Simmons with his Pot Central booth

DSC_0049.JPG
DSC_0050.JPG

A couple shots of the Chinese Garden.

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
The stache makes him easy to recognize. :D

I think its because he's one of the few nutters who posts pictures of himself and has his picture for his avatar.

Hard to find other nutters when all you know them is by their forum name.

Last edited:

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Walked away with all these for 19$! Couldnt be happier!View attachment 133672 View attachment 133674
Those look like San Gabriel Nursery trees. I go to their nursery all the time--used to go at least twice a month when I had more time.

Cool kishus. I really want to get a big juniper that I can mess around with and style from scratch. But no dinero :(

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Day 2 Bonsai-a-thon:

Observer turned volunteer turned pseudo-demonstrator. Stopped by in the morning to check out the demos and ended up helping out Bob work on a tree. I applied raffia, wire (to the best of my ability), and cleaned up branching with the expectation that Mr. Pressler would be styling the tree. He ended up giving it to me in the end! Its a nice kishu grafted onto prostrata root stock. Good potential as a semi-cascade but I'm thinking windswept possibly. I'll figure it out after some time. I had a really good time meeting more people in the bonsai community. I met Helen Barrett (Jim Barrett's wife) and talked to her for a good bit. Everyone was very friendly and I had a great time. Many thank to Bob for letting me work on the tree, not to mention taking it home :D

Bob was working on the bottlebrush while I finished applying raffia.
20170226_103914.jpg
I did not have the chance to take nicer photos of the tree, maybe @bonsaibp has some nicer shots of the tree and the event. Hope I was able to meet some other nutters. For now I'll feed the tree, keep it in good health, and on my next free weekend I'll think about styling options since wire and raffia is already fully applied.
20170226_145445.jpg

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Day 2 Bonsai-a-thon:

Observer turned volunteer turned pseudo-demonstrator. Stopped by in the morning to check out the demos and ended up helping out Bob work on a tree. I applied raffia, wire (to the best of my ability), and cleaned up branching with the expectation that Mr. Pressler would be styling the tree. He ended up giving it to me in the end! Its a nice kishu grafted onto prostrata root stock. Good potential as a semi-cascade but I'm thinking windswept possibly. I'll figure it out after some time. I had a really good time meeting more people in the bonsai community. I met Helen Barrett (Jim Barrett's wife) and talked to her for a good bit. Everyone was very friendly and I had a great time. Many thank to Bob for letting me work on the tree, not to mention taking it home :D

Bob was working on the bottlebrush while I finished applying raffia.

I did not have the chance to take nicer photos of the tree, maybe @bonsaibp has some nicer shots of the tree and the event. Hope I was able to meet some other nutters. For now I'll feed the tree, keep it in good health, and on my next free weekend I'll think about styling options since wire and raffia is already fully applied.

That is so awesome!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Why in the hell does everyone have a picture of Colin? I think he is making a hi-level deal on his phone with a proxy bidder on a tree yet to be disclosed.
dsc_0058-jpg.133662
The Fraser caught staring in the background :eek:
bonsaipic-png.133603
The most photographed guy at the show :)
View attachment 133661

Haha, the paparazzi are everywhere! I met another nut at the Huntington on day two and told him he should snap one to enter the ongoing "Who Can Take the Worst Candid Photo of ColinFraser at a Bonsai Event" Contest.

In all seriousness though, it was great to see/meet everyone. I managed to get out of there without any new trees, but I did buy seven pots ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom