Bonsai FAQ

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This thread is for us to start pulling our bonsai FAQ together. When I have some time I will start adding content here.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is for us to start pulling our bonsai FAQ together. When I have some time I will start adding content here.

So are you still looking for questions/answers? and should they be posted to this thread?

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So are you still looking for questions/answers? and should they be posted to this thread?

I like the idea of a FAQ section with answers. Nutapedia. Nutbriary. Nutawhatever. This thread might be the way to begin the accumulation of FAQs, but not the place to answer. Too difficult to search and find answers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the idea of a FAQ section with answers. Nutapedia. Nutbriary. Nutawhatever. This thread might be the way to begin the accumulation of FAQs, but not the place to answer. Too difficult to search and find answers.

What if one posted a FAQ and a proposed answer? If we avoided the more controversial subjects like styling, art, technique, soil, pots, and tree care, then what?:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Playing the Devil's advocate here....

Why do we need a FAQ at all?

Newcomers, in my experience, rarely read them first, the subjects are covered very well in many places already, and isn't one of the purposes of a forum with active members answering questions?

With A FAQ one view is expressed, on the open forum many views are expressed, sources given, and links to articles that are more intensive than a FAQ could ever be are given.

Posting "Read The FAQ" is certainly easier than answering a question, but also less personal.

Will

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now that this site has been up for a while, I'm not sure that there is a place for a "FAQ" here. Rather I would probably support other FAQ projects (like Bonsai Wikipedia) that allow multiple people to work on it, and benefit many. At the end of the day, I'm not sure how the Internet community benefits by having 1,000 bonsai sites out there, all with their own definition of "root rot".

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will rabidly devour any bit of information on this subject but I honestly thing the best FAQ you could give would be the link http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/bonsaip.htm

At some point we're just beating carrion horseflesh which is too tired to even twitch when prodded anymore. The wheel is there. Read it, love it, read it again.. and again, and again...

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And still don't quite soak it in, so read it again, and again...

Truly not being sarcastic but I've found that articles I've read over and over shed new light with almost every new read of them. Notables are the articles at Brent's site and Harry Harrington's.

And then you read Walter Pall's blog just to see the light at the end of the tunnel and realize how far you have to go :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, I have seen bonsai wiki at bonsaitalk, is it actually a separate entity? Or is it part of Wikipedia?

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score

Chri77pher88

Banned
Reaction score
Now that this site has been up for a while, I'm not sure that there is a place for a "FAQ" here. Rather I would probably support other FAQ projects (like Bonsai Wikipedia) that allow multiple people to work on it, and benefit many. At the end of the day, I'm not sure how the Internet community benefits by having 1,000 bonsai sites out there, all with their own definition of "root rot".
1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I think everyone else agreed with you long ago, considering nothing has posted here in 4 years.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how about a sub forum with all the progressions lumped in?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Has anyone ever had problems posting pictures? When I try to insert an image or post an image, the timer icon just spins forever.

It's just slow for uploads but it does go eventually.

Top Bottom