Bonsai Forums Selling Out

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry if I harpooned your joke. I tend to look upon things a little more seriously after this last election and the fact it is not a joke but a tradgedy; but that's just my opinion. That and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Yeah, but there's always a silver lining, Vance...when your GM brand vehicle breaks down (and you know it will) you will have the United States Gov't there to fix it...:rolleyes:

Dave

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For reference, see this link. I was actually a marketing manager at Taco Bell when we pulled off this stunt :) I still have a copy of the single ad we ran in USA Today. For the cost of a $100,000 ad, we generated millions in brand equity :)

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Yeah, but there's always a silver lining, Vance...when your GM brand vehicle breaks down (and you know it will) you will have the United States Gov't there to fix it...:rolleyes:

Dave

Yep, and without the government there to fix it, it would never get fixed.......there would be no GM.
:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
For reference, see this link. I was actually a marketing manager at Taco Bell when we pulled off this stunt :) I still have a copy of the single ad we ran in USA Today. For the cost of a $100,000 ad, we generated millions in brand equity :)

I remember that, that was indeed good!

Will

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... I sure hope there will be a trial period so one can examine the merits of the content. e.g is it worth a buck. There is a site in the UK that uses this format??? :rolleyes: I am not subscribed! If we base ourselves with the content of the fora these days, it will undoubtedly be a short lived non lucrative investment.

You would be refering to www.bonsaihelp.co.uk I'm fairly close to this forum and can say that it's been selling subscriptions for four years now and I've been with it through it's various existences for six or seven years now. The reason it works is (no offense almighty nut) none of the sh*t that goes on here and Btalk, etc happens there. Since people have a stake in the site they keep it clean and productive. There may be no headliners there but there are some great people.

No this wasn't a defense or sales pitch, I don't own the site or make a dime, but this isn't the first reference to it on here and I thought I should clear the air.

Will, any coffee flying through the nasals yet?

emorrin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I can second what Steve says because I am also a member of that bonsai forum. There are no politics, flames wars, etc. going on there, just people helping other people out.

I subscribe to several forums but I call bonsaihelp home. Don't get me wrong, there are great people on most forums with good advice, it is just the crap that ruins it for me. Maybe paying a small fee is the way to go. Other than that site, I know of one other site that all the flame wars do not occur. It is based more for beginners but people there are also nice as well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fees have nothing to do with it, there are other forums such as Bsite, IBC, IBF, AoB, and KoB where the crap doesn't happen either, it's not the pay for view, it's the moderation that stops the crap before it starts.

As far as paying for content, most sites have donation drives and/or advertising that help pay for expenses, some ads are tastefully done, but on some forums the flashing banner ads, pop-ups, redirects, and other ads are distracting. On these sites, you pay, just not by sending money.

As far as bonsai help goes, I see nothing there that isn't on other free forums, certainly nothing worth spending money on. This is not to say there isn't some good content there, just that why pay for what can be had for free elsewhere? Basically, as with most forums, it is discussion based and the same people there are posting on other discussion forums as well.

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Fees have nothing to do with it, there are other forums such as Bsite, IBC, IBF, AoB, and KoB where the crap doesn't happen either, it's not the pay for view, it's the moderation that stops the crap before it starts.

As far as paying for content, most sites have donation drives and/or advertising that help pay for expenses, some ads are tastefully done, but on some forums the flashing banner ads, pop-ups, redirects, and other ads are distracting. On these sites, you pay, just not by sending money.

As far as bonsai help goes, I see nothing there that isn't on other free forums, certainly nothing worth spending money on. This is not to say there isn't some good content there, just that why pay for what can be had for free elsewhere? Basically, as with most forums, it is discussion based and the same people there are posting on other discussion forums as well.

Will

That has been my opinion, if not voiced point of view, which goes back to the old proverb: "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You would be refering to www.bonsaihelp.co.uk I'm fairly close to this forum and can say that it's been selling subscriptions for four years now and I've been with it through it's various existences for six or seven years now. The reason it works is (no offense almighty nut) none of the sh*t that goes on here and Btalk, etc happens there. Since people have a stake in the site they keep it clean and productive. There may be no headliners there but there are some great people.

No this wasn't a defense or sales pitch, I don't own the site or make a dime, but this isn't the first reference to it on here and I thought I should clear the air.

Will, any coffee flying through the nasals yet?
I didn't put down the site Steve and I'm glad it works for you. I just like to see what I purchase.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I thought it was a great joke. I decided to play along because Brett totally got me at first. I was really angry.

Every year someone gets me. I am such an airhead that I forget what day it is. :eek:

Oh well, nice one Brett!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, it was fun, I played along, even obviously knowing better since two of the forums mentioned I am involved in.

Will

nsmar4211

Sapling
Reaction score
Playing along is part of the fun, wait and see who doesn't figure out what day it is ........ :)

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Will

You're wrong on the moderation part Will. I'm a moderator there. I can't remember the last time I had to step in to break something up. The people really do police themselves. I spend the bulk of my moderator time moving posts into appropriate places.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You're wrong on the moderation part Will. I'm a moderator there. I can't remember the last time I had to step in to break something up. The people really do police themselves. I spend the bulk of my moderator time moving posts into appropriate places.

Which "There" are you talking about. I can tell you the AoB and KoB's moderators don't have a big problem now because the pattern has been set. Most people know that if they start slinging hash they are gone----so none of that happens---now. It did have a couple of occurrences early on.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You misunderstood my post, I didn't say there wasn't moderation at Bhelp, what I said was that fees have nothing to do with the environment.

"Fees have nothing to do with it, there are other forums such as Bsite, IBC, IBF, AoB, and KoB where the crap doesn't happen either, it's not the pay for view, it's the moderation that stops the crap before it starts."

Will

Top Bottom