Bonsai near athens, greece?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dear all,

In a it I may be able to visit Athens (greece). If i have time, i may want to try and visit a nursery there to find some nice smallish wild olive material.

As greech is not i my skillset, i have been unable to locate a suitable place. Any suggestions.?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello @leatherback
I know one nursery which have small wild olives.
This is one I bought lately from them which I will use with a piece of good deadwood (olea e. sylvestris) as tanuki.
IMG_8182.JPG
Lots of branches to choose from. Nice small roundish foliage.
I have separated into two and if it survives the very hard root pruning I will create a thread of its own for this tanuki. The deadwood is indeed worth it.
But in case you are interested in pre-bonsai material (plants grown in such a way as to be potential bonsai) then no, there are not such nurseries in Greece.

So it will be my pleasure to guide you to this nursery at the time you will be here in Athens.
If interested I could give you personal details...

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you!
Although it has nice small leaved etc,
I was hoping for a little more mature material. Nothing like old wrung out olive yamadori to be bought in greece you think?

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
One or two members of our local club have olive trees which I know they might want to sell.
If you are interested I could contact them and send to you photos along with other details.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm going to Spain... And these make me think about bringing some big olive branches for cuttings as @bonhe shared on his threads. We would need to know when commercially grown olives for fruit are pruned hard... Just thinking.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello Peter,
Here in Greece, it's done after fruit collection, i.e. during winter months.
If cutting back an old tree in order to regenerate (which doesn't produce enough fruits) then it's done very early in spring. And this is the case to find big nice cuttings, even whole trees.
But since you are going to Spain I am sure you can find fine prebonsai there provided that you want to spend some money.
Laos Garden is a good and reputed place to look.
Unfortunately, here in Greece there are not existing any bonsai related nurseries. Enthusiasts who have the knowledge and abilities go collecting their own olive trees from the wild.
The only collected olives one can see here are some huge, ancient trees intended for garden architecture like these Ancient Olive Trees-Delta Nurseries

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Peter,
Here in Greece, it's done after fruit collection, i.e. during winter months.
If cutting back an old tree in order to regenerate (which doesn't produce enough fruits) then it's done very early in spring. And this is the case to find big nice cuttings, even whole trees.
But since you are going to Spain I am sure you can find fine prebonsai there provided that you want to spend some money.
Laos Garden is a good and reputed place to look.
Unfortunately, here in Greece there are not existing any bonsai related nurseries. Enthusiasts who have the knowledge and abilities go collecting their own olive trees from the wild.
The only collected olives one can see here are some huge, ancient trees intended for garden architecture like these Ancient Olive Trees-Delta Nurseries
Hi Alexandra and thanks for good info. BTW, fruiting are not wild my fault. ?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One or two members of our local club have olive trees which I know they might want to sell.
If you are interested I could contact them and send to you photos along with other details.
Ah, that is too bad. I was hoping to find a dealer with a nice range. I do have options to buy from others at home too. Was thinking greece would have a place with a larger range of coected material to sort through. Probably bonsai has not been picked up large scale in greece yet.

Thx Nellie!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Probably bonsai has not been picked up large scale in greece yet.
Thx Nellie!
You are welcome!
Yes, you are correct. Bonsai is just at its first steps in Greece.
A handful of enthusiasts have been practicing bonsai following instructions on the internet or reading printed material.
Our first Bonsai Club was established in 2011 after a considerable time of efforts to organize. But we are going on better and better! :)
Mr. Peter Warren, Alfredo Salaccione, Stefano Frisoni are the first bonsai professionals to perform workshops and lectures on our invitation :)
But mind you, Mr. Warren had commented on our very first public exhibition of members' trees that : For a first time event the bonsai trees were of such a level which was higher than what it would be if the same first time exhibition was held in his country!

Please, do not hesitate to contact me in case you need any more info.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Upping this old thread as I am traveling to Athens next week. Has the bonsai scene grown there at all? Any recommendations for places to visit?

Top Bottom