Bonsai/ pre- bonsai tree swap

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Received a package from Eric today. Thanks!
I starting some other cuttings and seedlings, but would be open to swaping them next year.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sigh.. Wish I could join in on the fun. Cross-ocean shipping is just not so realistic

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Received a package from Eric today. Thanks!
I starting some other cuttings and seedlings, but would be open to swaping them next year.
I got yours yesterday as well and I hope you are happy with the trade. I am always excited to add new species to my collection, so adding THREE new species at one time is a great deal IMO
Thanks!

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have crabapples, american elms, amurs, and hawthorns going right now. They'll be ready by next year. Give me a shout if you have a request.

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok, first trade is happening TODAY! Thanks Thumbless for working with me, I am excited! I have at least one or two more in the works- this is fun! I just love getting new species! I especially love the trees I can propagate easily from cuttings, but when trading Ihope to get more Pines because AJ have found them hard to propagate and need to add a few to my collection.

Anybody else want to make a deal? I have more than what is shown in the pics above... If you are interested, let me know and I can get more pictures posted if you want!

Thanks!
I'm interested in the Elms but have no tree to swap.....:(

I can buy..........

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have crabapples, american elms, amurs, and hawthorns going right now. They'll be ready by next year. Give me a shout if you have a request.
Im intrested in the Crappapples but no tree to swap. If you stuck with them I can buy.....

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wanted to know if anyone has a seigen maple, kiyohime maple, shishigashira maple that he could make some cuttings for me. They have to be cuttings as they will be shipped bare rooted in dormancy.

I would have to buy them though...

Please help!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone has a seigen maple, kiyohime maple, shishigashira maple that he could make some cuttings for me. They have to be cuttings as they will be shipped bare rooted in dormancy.

I would have to buy them though...

Please help!
Sorry Max, that is three types of Maples I do not own. Not all of the JM varieties root well from cuttings... Some are much easier than others. I have heard most disectums, lace leafs and some dwarf varieties can be hard to damn near impossible.

The regular old Momiji seems easiest, Tridents are definitely doable, Arakawa I am finding to be difficult so far honestly... Where I have decent success with regular green ones, I have had a few Arakawa make small roots, but they didn't survive the Winter to spring transition and fried up to blackness when they tried to leaf out!

Still working on it though. I have a small Arakawa that I plan to layer one day, but I want it to get bigger first- maybe next year or the year after.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
seigen is the cultivar I most want right now! I love them
But I was expecting something like that. Thanks Eric.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I put two more boxes in the mail today- Mike and Jarrod, hope they get to you in good health!

I still have some nice little Pyracantha cuttings, a couple Elms and some Chinzan Azaleas. Most the Shompaku left are either in the ground or new ones started just this year I wouldn't feel comfortable sending to somebody. The Sargent Junis I have were just repotted and wired up pretty crazy this week, so not really suitable to ship now either.

Obviously I am not the only one you can swap with here. I hope some others are doing this- I think it has been a great way to get to know some people who share a similar passion and a great way to increase the species we have to work with!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously I am not the only one you can swap with here.

Year old American elm trees. 5 left.
Year old Jack pine trees.10 left
Year old TamaracK trees.5 left
As soon as they sprout 5 to 10 Chinese elm root cuttings.
I also have various mid size Elm,Tamarack and Scotch pines that can be traded for.
As soon as the tree Eric arrives I will be see how to ship them.
I will trade for just about anything I don't have. Or do have. Mainly various elms or junipers or maples or larches.Think cold hardy.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look what was waiting on my doorstep when I got home today! Badass! Jacquiline Hillier elm.
The elm varieties collection goes up in number.
Thank you Eric.
Way to think inside the box for shipping. Worked well. The delivery man had it upside down and it's fine.2015-05-22 15.08.09.jpg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How did he ship it that was outside of the box that worked so well?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Look what was waiting on my doorstep when I got home today! Badass! Jacquiline Hillier elm.
The elm varieties collection goes up in number.
Thank you Eric.
Way to think inside the box for shipping. Worked well. The delivery man had it upside down and it's fine.View attachment 74606
The tips of the new growth look a little blackened from the trip... Probably three days or so in a box caused a little stress, but overall it looks great! Glad to see it got there in a timely manner!

@Jevans, I took the top I had cut off of a plastic nursery pot and cut a little section out to fit over the trunk of the tree, then wedged it from corner to corner of the box so that it was holding the tree in place... That and a few little packing pads held it pretty solid! I am finding it an interesting challenge just packing these trees! Part of the reason I wanted to start the trades is I am planning to sell some trees one day- I am making so many I pretty much HAVE TO get rid of some or the wife might get rid of ME- so, I figured is would be a good exercise in shipping live trees without people getting super mad if I screw one up, because we are just trading trees and they aren't paying me for them! :)

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The tips of the new growth look a little blackened from the trip... Probably three days or so in a box caused a little stress, but overall it looks great! Glad to see it got there in a timely manner!

@Jevans, I took the top I had cut off of a plastic nursery pot and cut a little section out to fit over the trunk of the tree, then wedged it from corner to corner of the box so that it was holding the tree in place... That and a few little packing pads held it pretty solid! I am finding it an interesting challenge just packing these trees! Part of the reason I wanted to start the trades is I am planning to sell some trees one day- I am making so many I pretty much HAVE TO get rid of some or the wife might get rid of ME- so, I figured is would be a good exercise in shipping live trees without people getting super mad if I screw one up, because we are just trading trees and they aren't paying me for them! :)

Well done

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a shot of the best little American elms Eric. Would you like to pick one? Number 1 being first on the left.
I can't figure out how to put a picture in a pm. So I'm putting them here.2015-05-25 10.13.48.jpg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's a shot of the best little American elms Eric. Would you like to pick one? Number 1 being first on the left.
I can't figure out how to put a picture in a pm. So I'm putting them here.View attachment 74782
Probably #5, #8 or #10... Whichever one you think looks best in person!

Thanks Mike!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No problem. I'll pick the one that has the best the little guys have to offer.
This is a cool thing we got going on here people. Everyone that's capable of trading trees should do it.
I think I would like to try a regular acer palmatum. If anyone has one they want to get rid of pm me.
I have some larger actual pre bonsai elms for shohin if someone has an extra maple with a larger trunk to let go we could swap the larger ones too.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have some 4 year old Shimpaku cuttings. I would part with a few if some are interested. I'll Post pics tomorrow. I have done just basic wiring to put movement in some of the trunks.

Top Bottom