Bonsai Show in Southeast Michigan

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice old JWP trunk! Check out the bark! Wow!
The same man owns both the EWP and the Jwp. Vance Hannah. He's a nice guy and has some great trees. Two guys named Vance's that work on pines like that in the same club.
It's awesome,the knowledge they have and share.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adair,
Official photos should show up in the next Four Seasons Club newsletter next month( pro quality I'm sure ).
I had a Hinoki dwarf that I got a real refinement lesson with. It scared me to death thinking that I may have ruined a beautiful tree till I started to see what Mark Fields was talking about and then I jumped in with both feet.
I think it is the best thing I have worked on so far. Now the big lesson is to keep it alive and healthy till next spring when I put it in a training pot.
I think it may be my first show piece in a few years ( if I can keep it alive! ).
Wish me luck,
Regards,
Leonard
Now you got to find a nice por for it.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How did the mugo win over the white!?

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I'm glad it was a Great time for all , I was stuck in a hot kitchen trying not to think of what I was missing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was coming for pics!

Nice!

There should be a comic book...
Vance and Vance.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The Mugo looks million times better in the second photo. Generally, you need to see these trees in person to understand the judging, but sometimes that doesn't even help. I like this Mugo but think that pot does it a huge disservice.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
The Mugo looks million times better in the second photo. Generally, you need to see these trees in person to understand the judging, but sometimes that doesn't even help. I like this Mugo but think that pot does it a huge disservice.
Don,
I was at the show and studied the Mugo intensively. I admit though I didn't understand your pot reference.
Can you be more specific to add to my knowledge of pot selection?
Thanks,
Leonard

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'll take a stab at it.

The tree is very masculine with the deadwood feature that indicates severe damage on one side of the tree resulting in all growth on the other side of the tree. Even the moss on the top of the soil surface is "rough and tumble" and looks nothing like the manicured moss application in a lot of Japanese shows.

The oval pot is feminine with the carved motif and delicate feet. It clashes with the aesthetic of the tree. Most would probably recommend a dark, unglazed rectangle with sharp corners and more prominent feet. That or a rustic scoop pot which would accentuate the trunk movement.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree...
But a simple...

"It's kinda corny"

May work as well.

Sorce

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Bobby,
Is there literature that you source to guide you?
Leonard

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I'll take a stab at it.

The tree is very masculine with the deadwood feature that indicates severe damage on one side of the tree resulting in all growth on the other side of the tree. Even the moss on the top of the soil surface is "rough and tumble" and looks nothing like the manicured moss application in a lot of Japanese shows.

The oval pot is feminine with the carved motif and delicate feet. It clashes with the aesthetic of the tree. Most would probably recommend a dark, unglazed rectangle with sharp corners and more prominent feet. That or a rustic scoop pot which would accentuate the trunk movement.
Bobby,
As a follow up statement, do you mean a square pot similar to the one used with the jwp?
Leonard

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Bobby,
As a follow up statement, do you mean a square pot similar to the one used with the jwp?
Leonard

I'm not really very good at this and I'm not even sure how much my own personal taste aligns with these standards.

I would say darker color, stronger corners, more prominent feet.

The JWP is tall and elegant. It's more feminine than Vance's mugo. The corners on that pot are indented which softens the overall aesthetic.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Don,
I was at the show and studied the Mugo intensively. I admit though I didn't understand your pot reference.
Can you be more specific to add to my knowledge of pot selection?
Thanks,
Leonard
I like the tree. I like the pot. I don't like the tree in the pot. I don't think they match well. Jester makes some good points regarding the design.
I also don't like the size of the pot and the positioning of the apex. I would like to see it in a round or long pot. I think it would look better on a slab or even in a scallop, maybe. I don't think this is an easy tree for pot selection.
All that said, this tree won Best in Show, so that speaks volumes right there.

Top Bottom