Bonsai Show in Southeast Michigan

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I like the tree. I like the pot. I don't like the tree in the pot. I don't think they match well. Jester makes some good points regarding the design.
I also don't like the size of the pot and the positioning of the apex. I would like to see it in a round or long pot. I think it would look better on a slab or even in a scallop, maybe. I don't think this is an easy tree for pot selection.
Al
I like the tree. I like the pot. I don't like the tree in the pot. I don't think they match well. Jester makes some good points regarding the design.
I also don't like the size of the pot and the positioning of the apex. I would like to see it in a round or long pot. I think it would look better on a slab or even in a scallop, maybe. I don't think this is an easy tree for pot selection.
All that said, this tree won Best in Show, so that speaks volumes right there.
Don,
Using a round being less feminine? Or a larger round would provide more area for a ground cover to soften the effect of the course nebari? Or are you just referring to some kind of scale that would better represent the scale of the tree?
Like I said, all of this is just great info for me because I don't see alot of literature about this online. In my pre retired life my colleagues said I could be fairly dogged when I was looking for information, hope I don't offend.
Thanks,
Leonard
l that said, this tree won Best in Show, so that speaks volumes right there.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah Leonard!

Get a load of this guy!

Lolololol!

Sorce
Oh yeah. We had some fun.
And Leonard may have learned something between bouts of jocularity.
I know he paid close attention to what Vance and I told him about bonsai.
And his hinoki turned out killer.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Oh yeah. We had some fun.
And Leonard may have learned something between bouts of jocularity.
I know he paid close attention to what Vance and I told him about bonsai.
And his hinoki turned out killer.
Fun doesn't cover it. Hope you and Vance's headaches weren't too bad after all the brain picking I was doing on you both.
With all this hot steamy weather I have been misting my plants 4 times a day to keep them from shriveling up. They all seem to respond to this and I don't want to risk overwater on the Hinoki. Two plants are very root bound in nursery pots, but I don't know if I can repot to larger or wait till next spring
Next year I will be sure to bring doughnuts and catch you off guard with some new projects.
Hope you ninja those voles so you will have more plant material next year Mike.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
What do you want to repot?
Vance,
A large juniper I got in the spring from Kurt Smith ( it had the first shaping in May ( see photo ). The roots are almost solid in the pot.
The other was the mugo I got from you at the show. When you took it out of the pot it was pretty root bound ( in the small pot ).
Could I just take them both out and rake the roots out a bit and return it to a larger pot with potting soil to boost aeration?
Thanks,
Leonard

Attachments

• Juniper June 2016.jpg
    Juniper June 2016.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 33

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,
A large juniper I got in the spring from Kurt Smith ( it had the first shaping in May ( see photo ). The roots are almost solid in the pot.
The other was the mugo I got from you at the show. When you took it out of the pot it was pretty root bound ( in the small pot ).
Could I just take them both out and rake the roots out a bit and return it to a larger pot with potting soil to boost aeration?
Thanks,
Leonard
Yes, in my experience. You might here different from other sources. I don't know when the Shimp was potter/repotted so what you describe should be OK. Post a picture of the Mugo. I'm not sure if this was one of the Mugos I did this year.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Yes, in my experience. You might here different from other sources. I don't know when the Shimp was potter/repotted so what you describe should be OK. Post a picture of the Mugo. I'm not sure if this was one of the Mugos I did this year.
Vance,
It was the mugo you sold me over the show weekend and gave a first styling to ( see photos). Both the larger juniper and the mugo are tightly rootbound. How much damage is too much when I am trying to loosen the roots?
Once I loosen up the roots, I will repot in larger containers in potting soil till next spring ( especially the mugo to gain trunk size) with weekly Miracid feedings.
Thanks again for the advice.
Regards,
Leonard

Attachments

• Mugo Pine -1 Aug 2016.jpg
    Mugo Pine -1 Aug 2016.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Mugo Pine Aug 2016.jpg
    Mugo Pine Aug 2016.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 29

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Well you know me: I would take a saw and saw off up to one half of the existing root ball then take a root rake or chop stick and loosen up what is left of the perimiter of the root ball and put the tree in a decent container, colander, bonsai pot, or what ever and then leave it along for a year,

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Well you know me: I would take a saw and saw off up to one half of the existing root ball then take a root rake or chop stick and loosen up what is left of the perimiter of the root ball and put the tree in a decent container, colander, bonsai pot, or what ever and then leave it along for a year,
Thanks Vance, I will rake and reduce as needed and leave them alone for awhile as suggested.

Top Bottom