Bonsai Stick Figures with special guest Rick Martin

Random User

Reaction score
"Although there are days when I think one of them diapers they wear could come in handy."

Ya, like when your on a long trip in a small airplane... you could just hide behind the hanger and shake out your "crap-trap" after you land.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How does one go about drawing a Sumo stick figure?
Really wide brush?

Did these last couple pages actually happen?

Did someone actually think someone thought someone could make fun of M.Frary?

That's Rick !

I mean.....

That's Rich!

Like a triple layered chocolate cake.....

You Fatties!

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

just a little tip -------- Tai Chi --------- the hard styles, you pay for as you get older.
Grandparents - Chinese -- died in 90's and could still womp us young uns.
They just went to sleep and didn't get up.

Also, up the veggies.

AND stop burning your humans, I'll bring the B-B -q sauce next time I evolve - worm state is so comfy
Your friend in destruction - Mottie.

Leaves to the song of Moturaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:):cool:
Anthony

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've done some Tai Chi when I was younger. Part of a co-op we had with another school. I once knew the entire Yang Long Form but it's been ages! My instructor was a woman in her 70s and she made it all look so easy. It's sooooo not easy. "Soft styles" indeed but they are hard on muscles. Not so much joints. @M. Frary , what style forms did you do? Tae Guks (Il Jung) or the Chang Hon forms (Chun Ji)?

Cheers.

B

(PS, weren't we talking about stick figures or something?)

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chang Hon forms.
We did them ultra slow and at speed for belt testing.
You've got me all fired up now! When I get home I'm breaking out my big uniform and going to see if it still fits.
I say big because as I went along I had to get a smaller one.
The big one is white. My other is black.
Have to pull the belts out of the dispay case. I know the black won't go around me twice anymore. Give me something to shoot for though.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chang Hon forms.
We did them ultra slow and at speed for belt testing.
You've got me all fired up now! When I get home I'm breaking out my big uniform and going to see if it still fits.
I say big because as I went along I had to get a smaller one.
The big one is white. My other is black.
Have to pull the belts out of the dispay case. I know the black won't go around me twice anymore. Give me something to shoot for though.

YISSSSSSS! You did the "good" forms. Not many people learned those and it all had to do with an argument about 100 years ago between teacher/student... The Tae Geuks are also much better for kids and McBlackBelt programs. Boring stuff to most but I'm stoked you're on the right side, in my opinion. I know both btw. Chang Hon are much better suited to do slow and we do the slow mo forms for testing as well! My favorite of which has always been hwa-rang tul. I'm fired up too. My doctor, just today, said no heavy impact yet but by this year's repotting season, we should both be well on our way to at least feeling it.

This has been a blast!

Cheers.

B

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has been a blast!
Yes it has.
Aren't the other forms used by WTF. Olympics?
We also did full contact sparring. You get your guard up if you know you're going to be kicked or punched in the puss.
The best thing I liked doing was defending against multiple attackers.
3 on 1 sparring is a blast!

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Tai Chi we learnt was supposed be the medicinal form, not combat.
Though K's sister went onto study the combat form.
You and Khaimraj practice Tai Chi?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes Mike,

many years, remember Chinese grandparents born in China.
Good Day
Anthony

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Anthony If you watch, they are almost the identical form. Stylized perhaps differently. What a wonderful gift to have been passed down from grandparents. My first introduction to Tai Chi was from a "Learn at Home" VHS tape in the 90s. It may have been that short form actually. I've never seen the combat form, how was it similar/different?

@M. Frary, yes they do the WTF style in the Olympics. Hmpf... Though more simple forms, they are also more easily judged on a strict scale. ITF forms vary from school to school while WTF has done a great job of standardization. We also train Olympic style with full contact save punching to the face. It was always a thrill to meet students from other schools who weren't used to getting hit and actively practice NOT striking with their kicks/punches. THE HELL?

Let's not discuss how I feel about the current rule set and fights at the Olympics.. It's boring and too flashy. Not enough emphasis on 'trembling shock'. Almost Karate'fied. *grumble grumble* "BACK IN MY DAY..."

Our X-on-1 training was mostly reserved for black belt tests... Mine lasted about 8 hours and was grueling! My parents are my masters, their master is GM John Holloway who's in the TKD Hall of Fame. http://www.lacancha.com/tkdhofu.html#USA Search for 'Holloway'. That's who tested me for Black Belt.. he was at my wedding as well. :)

Cheers.

B

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was always a thrill to meet students from other schools who weren't used to getting hit and actively practice NOT striking with their kicks/punches. THE HELL?
The poor buggers were told all they had was to move forward to make contact and to pull punches and kicks at the last moment too. Pretty much being set up for failure.
My master was Mike Miller an Amman student. He unfortunately died of a brain aneurysm a few years back. So I either train myself or find a new one.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
B, perhaps I should have said, we only do Tai Chi for health.
There are books with Chen Man Ch'ing showing the uprooting etc. but
our grandparents only did what you see the elderly doing in the Chinese parks.

Plus Trinidad, is actually a very quiet island, South and Central of the island uses Cutlass Fu, so fighting is
low. North is more prone to gallerying and fighting.
I have never seen a crime on this island with my eyes [ in public ]

Thus the hard styles are popular in North, we grow Bonsai :)
Good Day
Anthony

* Cutlass Fu is an Indian Style of fighting - where a Cane cutter takes a cutlass and chops you.
If you are a pest, you end up headless in the canefield.
Not too much violence after that

Mike - first rule of Kung Fu, ----------- avoid a fight or just run away.
Second rule ------- make every blow count - incapacitate.i
Third rule ------------ it's not a Kung Fu movie --------- ie. Secret Rivals parts 1 and 2.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @Smoke very helpful lesson.
Probably one of the best/easiest one iv seen.
Can't wait for spring to use in on my bigger trees.

Top Bottom