Bougie Plan

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What do you think of my proposed plan for this bougie? It's been growing from an approximately 6" cutting (snapped off branch while testing flexibility) since about July of last year. It's starting to get a bit unmanageable for my smallish growing area.
proposed cuts.jpg It seems well established in the pot, and I've been hitting it with Bougain since the end of December. I was thinking I'd make cuttings at the red lines (to be used for a clump style?) Then let the small upward growing section become the new leader, and let it go for another season.

I already have another one going as a future cascade, so I want to try something else with this one. I'm also aware that I should have wired it sooner.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with it....

But I'm with anything you do!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'd wire the big one upward and let it run as a sacrifice, while keeping the eventual top in check. It needs to put on some mass, and that's the way to get it.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would positioning it upwards make a difference? Right no the long vine is running 6" below and parallel to a 46" t5 bulb.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Would positioning it upwards make a difference? Right no the long vine is running 6" below and parallel to a 46" t5 bulb.
Oh, I see; I assumed it was outside where wiring it up would probably give maximum sun and growth. I suppose in your case, maximizing surface area exposed to the lamp might be better - I can picture a comical sacrifice branch doubled back and forth along itself in 4-foot loops parallel to the bulbs!

Top Bottom