Box store San Jose Juniper

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this a lot. When will you do the work?
I'll probably do some more reduction early next summer.

I still need to take off about 60% of the foliage, so I won't do it all at once (to try and keep it pushing scale as much as possible).

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally think I have an end goal after staring at this for a couple years...

Been slowly reducing the foliage trying not to get too much juvenile growth, and just did some wiring. I'm still not good at cleaning junipers yet, so I'll figure that out next year...

Oh, and I put it in a @penumbra stone age pot!

Here are a few photos.

Current state:

View attachment 456260

Left erased:

View attachment 456261

Left erased; right shortened:

View attachment 456262

Air layered of that left branch this year.

Just got done with another round of wiring. Still learning copper, and figuring out placement.

Before:
PXL_20230921_154714489~2.jpg

After:
PXL_20230925_162938788.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

And looking at the photos, I need to figure out how to un-hide some of the trunk again... I kinda like the before better, but it was very unstructured.

Maybe when it fills in again I can remove some of the stuff on the left and make it more asymmetrical.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice job with this tree. Pretty amazing to see 100% adult foliage on a San Jose

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice job with this tree. Pretty amazing to see 100% adult foliage on a San Jose
Thanks. San Jose is what it was labeled as at Home Depot, but you never know with them. Colin Lewis mentioned it could be a prostrata, but that was just from a couple pics over text messages.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not the best picture, but I moved the foliage on the left more to the right; much better.

Will need some thinning and cleaning, but that can wait until next year.

View attachment 512297
I really like this.

You mentioned thinning out. Does that include showing off more of the trunk leading to branching/bifurcating to the apex/canopy? It is probably very impressive and I’d love to see more of the trunk line🤩 cool pot too

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like this.

You mentioned thinning out. Does that include showing off more of the trunk leading to branching/bifurcating to the apex/canopy? It is probably very impressive and I’d love to see more of the trunk line🤩 cool pot too

Thanks. As it fills out again more, I'm sure I'll try and show off the best features. This was my first juniper, and it's grown to be one of my favorite trees, so taking it slow.

I think I mentioned it, but pot is made by @penumbra.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks. As it fills out again more, I'm sure I'll try and show off the best features. This was my first juniper, and it's grown to be one of my favorite trees, so taking it slow.

I think I mentioned it, but pot is made by @penumbra.
it is quite beautiful and has a nice apex

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Join me in grafting San Jose next month!

I think next month might be a little early for me 😂

You using kishu or itoigawa?

I don't think I could bring myself to change the foliage on this one considering it barely has any juvenile! I did take an air layer though, so might be worth grafting cuttings from that where needed.

I did buy a few kishus for future grading and cuttings though.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I think next month might be a little early for me 😂

You using kishu or itoigawa?

I don't think I could bring myself to change the foliage on this one considering it barely has any juvenile! I did take an air layer though, so might be worth grafting cuttings from that where needed.

I did buy a few kishus for future grading and cuttings though.
I wasn't suggesting changing the foliage, but you can add more san jose in the interior or something. Your foliage is remarkably stable for san jose

I prefer Kishu for my tree, but the world wants itoigawa

Top Bottom