Boxwood new growth turning yellow under grow light...

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is a small boxwood, about 10 in tall. For the last 2 years it's been battling boxwood blight here in southern NY but this summer I felt it had turned a corner. I repotted and had been pruning off dead leaves and the new growth was slow but steady. It has 3-4 chips of BioGold on the soil surface.
About a month ago I moved it into my basement with 9 other non-hardy trees, boxwoods and ficus, and put them under a full spectrum grow light for about 18hrs/day.
Under the grow light they had a nice growth spurt, new leaves all over the canopy. But in the last 5 days all the new growth has gone yellow as in the picture and are starting to drop. A few of the leaves on some ficus plants under the same light have turned yellow also but nothing like this.
I'm wondering if this could be too little water? I had been watering every other day but then I noticed fungus gnats in the area so I decided to let the soil dry out a bit to alleviate the gnats. I didn't water for 4 days, the gnats went away and the soil did not look too dried. Perhaps too much water?
If the picture can us something I'm all ears.

thanks,

Rob

IMG_1037.JPG

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's burning. The chlorophyll is getting cooked. I don't know if it is a photoperiod issue or an intensity issue. I would raise your lights first and foremost. 18 hours a day of sunlight doesn't happen in most part of the world :) so I would tweak your photoperiod as well

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
OK, thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They seems overworked.

I guess there could be some overlap, but I'd consider these much different than ficus.

This would probably be happy cold with 12 of light if not less.

Sorce

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have an unheated sun porch attached to the house but temps in there can get below 30˚ on real cold days. Better off there? If so do I need to transition slowly?

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have an unheated sun porch attached to the house but temps in there can get below 30˚ on real cold days. Better off there? If so do I need to transition slowly?

Yes, I think itd do better outside. They are really hardy. I think theyre ok down to like 20. Just need protection from the wind really. Its actually best if they stay below 40 for a few months during their dormant period. The light requirements are practically null in the winter under these conditions. Are landscape boxwoods common in your area? I have a bonsai one and give it a little protection in the window well and it is much greener than the ones in my yard in the winter. It gets down in the upper 30’s at night in the window well. For yours I’d recommend a small cold greenhouse for your patio like the one linked below. I’m not sure how to transition it out there though since its been inside this winter. Has it been exposed to cold?

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In past years I had it on the porch but it did not seem to do well, I was hoping to get some growth over the winter under the lights but perhaps I am think this wrong.

It will get some light on the sun porch and be protected from wind. If it looks like temps will go down belwo 20 I can bring it in for the evening.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plants are cold-blooded and do not mind colling down, nor do they dislike winter. Temperate species hate coming in for winter. Don't do it. Provide the normal weather variation they evolved under.

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have moved the boxwwods out to the unheated porch but I still have a question about the ficus, they have some lower leaves turning yellow and dropping, the new growth up top, closest to the light seems good. They have to stay inside under the lights so any ideas what this could be? They are a brighter yellow than the box wood leaves which, in retrospect, definitely look burned.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looks like too much water for me.....
It is a ficus benjamina, isn't it..?
Mine stand in a tray of water. I let it dry out once a week. The day the tray drains it gets refilled that evening or next morning. Never longer than 24h without direct access to water.

I would go for a change of location. Moving ficus and/or switching on heaters is a sure way to get a partial foliage drop with bejamina

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ficuses in general are quite sensitive to everything, to much/not enough/moving etc
I have couple and they do drop some of the foliage, mine did defoliate itself fully last year when i moved it to the greenhouse in spring, after that bounced back nicely :)

Its only couple of leafs, just watch it, it should be ok

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's a ficus. They like to drop leaves when moved, mine do it all the time. They might have been exposed to cold, keep them above 40 degrees F.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The box belong outside and the ficus looks like normal shedding.

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
OK, thanks. Will watch ficus and boxwoods are in an unheated porch here in NY.

Recoil Rob

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
will watch the ficus AND boxwoods are in an unheated porch here in NY. Ficus are inside under lights.

Top Bottom