Boxwood. worth digging?

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello. This is my first real post. I am new to bonsai but not new to gardening. I have kept a ficus bonsai alive for about 7 years ago. i got as a present. I have a couple more I wouldn't even call bonsai maybe pre bonsai. I live in North Georgia it does get cold here but mostly mild.
The wife wants these boxwood gone so ether way they are coming out of the ground. Ether cut down or dug.

Attachments

• 20220403_170950.jpg
    20220403_170950.jpg
    505.8 KB · Views: 198

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello. This is my first real post. I am new to bonsai but not new to gardening. I have kept a ficus bonsai alive for about 7 years ago. i got as a present. I have a couple more I wouldn't even call bonsai maybe pre bonsai. I live in North Georgia it does get cold here but mostly mild.
The wife wants these boxwood gone so ether way they are coming out of the ground. Ether cut down or dug.

Boxwood make great bonsai and survive digging well. Worth the effort in my opinion.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This one has already been replanted in this spot. It was crudely dug up by a landscaper about 6 years ago. My goal was to give it a couple years and put it in a pot. Here is another pic of it.

Attachments

• 20220403_170939.jpg
    20220403_170939.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 179

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got it out and on the bench. Washed out bottom trimmed up about flat. There is lots of feeder roots on there. Its potted and all of the large cuts sealed. It was dark bu the time I got it done. Will get another pic tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20220403_200638.jpg
    20220403_200638.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 166

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This has the bones to become a great tree. I dug a bunch of Boxwoods from a hedge in my front yard about 10 years ago. They are some of my nicest trees. I hope it buds out well for you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Y'all got some wierd looking boxwood.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a boxwood from what I can see. If it is, removing all green growth can kill it.

From the trunk appearance, the lone remaining leaves and your location in Georgia, I think it more likely a Yaupon Holly (ilex vomitoria) --which makes excellent, tough bonsai.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not a boxwood from what I can see. If it is, removing all green growth can kill it.

From the trunk appearance, the lone remaining leaves and your location in Georgia, I think it more likely a Yaupon Holly (ilex vomitoria) --which makes excellent, tough bonsai.
Here is a pic of the leaves there were 2 different types planted here.

Attachments

• 20220404_101442.jpg
    20220404_101442.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 123

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is a pic of it in its home. Maybe it will survive.

Attachments

• 20220404_101314.jpg
    20220404_101314.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 117

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely Yaupon Holly. NOT a boxwood. Yaupon is often used as a hedging plant because it backbuds very well after hard pruning, which makes it excellent for bonsai.

BTW, if it were a boxwood you would have dulled a saw on removing those roots alone. Old Boxwood wood is very dense and heavy, so dense it tends not to float in water.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is this a boxwood? Here is a pic of the leaves

Attachments

• 20220404_104936.jpg
    20220404_104936.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 130

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this a boxwood? Here is a pic of the leaves
Holly. probably another variety of Yaupon. Boxwood leaves are opposite each other. Holly leave alternate on the stem. Also boxwood leaves are smooth edged, no serrations (even though serrations are faint here, they're present)

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Holly. probably another variety of Yaupon. Boxwood leaves are opposite each other. Holly leave alternate on the stem. Also boxwood leaves are smooth edged, no serrations (even though serrations are faint here, they're present)
Thank you. I either was told wrong or forgot and remembered wrong. I'm going to say its me. So I got two more to pot up. I think I'm going to trim them back and leave in the ground for a little bit more

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Definitely a holly. It appears to me to be a Japanese holly (versus Yaupon). It is almost impossible to distinguish the two by just looking at the leaves since they are almost identical. Easiest method is if you have any visible fruit, since Yaupon fruit is red and Japanese holly is black. Otherwise look at young new growth. Japanese holly the new shoots will have green stems. Yaupon holly will have purple or greyish purple stems on new growth.

Here is what Yaupon holly stems look like. I will take photos of Japanese holly and post them later (my Japanese hollies are at another location). Looking at your photo, it appears all the young stems are green.

yaupon-holly.jpg

Last edited:

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Definitely a holly. It appears to me to be a Japanese holly (versus Yaupon). It is almost impossible to distinguish the two by just looking at the leaves since they are almost identical. Easiest method is if you have any visible fruit, since Yaupon fruit is red and Japanese holly is black. Otherwise look at young new growth. Japanese holly the new shoots will have green stems. Yaupon holly will have purple or greyish purple stems.

Here is what Yaupon holly stems look like. I will take photos of Japanese holly and post them later (my Japanese hollies are at another location). Looking at your photo, it appears all the young stems are green.

View attachment 433429
Thank you for the info. It makes me happy this little guy is going to make it.
With the shari on the main trunk and the lean the trunk has makes me think of a old decrepit tree you would see in a old cemetery. Or a tree you would see in a horror movie. Im going to try and keep some of the limbs to carve on i got some lime Sulphur for the jin.Its a project for sure maybe I'm up to the task.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update. I think it's going to make it. The one still in the ground is looking about the same, buds everywhere. Its like the dig and repot didn't affect it a bitView attachment 433427View attachment 433428
If it makes it through the summer ensure to protect it well during the winter. Maybe healed in next to your home. Good luck it looks awesome

Top Bottom