BRT curled up, closed pale green leaves

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Based on the above comments, I'll adjust the watering to daily. Thank you to everyone who chimed in. Is there a way to tell if I've killed the plant? Are there additional things I should be doing to help it make it through?

It would be better to adjust your wattering to when the plant needs it. I know mine need daily watering in the summer but in the winter I know they dont and I water every other day. I know this because I have had the trees for several years and I check them daily to see what they need. I know sometimes in the winter I dont need to check they every day.

Watch the plant, check it every day. Water it when the soil becomes almost dry for BRT. Dont let it ever dry out completely, they dont seem to like that. However you dont want them swimming in water all the time either. Stick a wooden chopstick in the soil and pull it out every day to see how wet it is. When its almost dry, water.
After a couple of years, you will learn when the tree needs to be watered and when it doesnt.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the plant is indoors, watering everyday is not recommended. The media doesn't look like bonsai mix which is OK as long as you water it with an amount that allows it to cycle between wet, dry, wet. dry. Touch the soil surface. If it is damp leave it alone. If dry, give it about 15 to 20% of the pot's volume in water which should last for several days. Eventually, you'll get tired of it growing to the moon and reduce it to begin forming a tree-like canopy. Start about here:
brt 2.JPG
brt 6.JPG
This will keep the plant compact and create a tight canopy of leaves.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you scratch the bark a little and it is green, it's still alive.
Not sure I agree with the barck scratch test, to be honest..

Is there a way to tell if I've killed the plant?
Check the branches for color. It is for sure dead is all the branches turns brown (In that sense, the scratch test shows something: If it is NOT sappy and green, it is NOT alive). I do not know how hot it was but I would not expect it to have died completely from this. For the rest the best course of action is to just wait.

LooselyWired

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
BRTs are pretty tough trees They are able to overcome many less than ideal circumstances. They also like to throw tantrums after relocating them, changing their favorite news channel, or not reading their bedtime stories. They become more cooperative once they understand who has control of the watering can, and who can move that cute jabaticoba a little closer. Good luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m in Ottawa Ontario and I have a brt and only a brt. Not a very long outdoor period for growth And they can be a pain to get to thrive indoors. But in the 2-3 months Outside it doubled, almost tripled in size. When it was outside I would have to water it every other day, except on really hot days (85-90F) I’d have to water it days in a row or twice a day even. Indoors I find I only have to water it once every 5-6 days because it doesn’t get as much sun/heat. I’ll water when the top is dry, and quite often I’ll push a bit of soil to the side and make a small hole to see how far down the dry is, quite often it’s not too far. But with a well draining soil mix in a pot with drain holes you can’t really give too much water, that being said you don’t want to water too often because you could cause root rot. I’m no expert but this is what works for me 🤷‍♂️

that's why I have a cutting I just potted

If you find a method that works let me know! I’ve failed over a dozen times trying different things... gets frustrating

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you find a method that works let me know! I’ve failed over a dozen times trying different things... gets frustrating
WHich BRT do you have? WIth or without thorns?

I have both. The variety with thorns rooted for me this summer. Tne one without did not.
I basically took growth of last winter when I was pruning the tree in.. may? Plugged them with rooting gel into pumice. Plastic bagged and put in a positionw here it would get about an hour of sun in the morning. Then waited. A few started to sprout maybe 2 weeks ago.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score

I have both. The variety with thorns rooted for me this summer. Tne one without did not.
I basically took growth of last winter when I was pruning the tree in.. may? Plugged them with rooting gel into pumice. Plastic bagged and put in a positionw here it would get about an hour of sun in the morning. Then waited. A few started to sprout maybe 2 weeks ago.
Not to hijack the thread or anything but @leatherback where did you get your BRT? Did you grow them from seed? I haven't managed to find any place in Europe that sells them...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One small note... BRT cuttings may drop all leaves and look dead or sitting and doing nothing. Then may start to open buds and grow slowly.

BalconyBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey @BalconyBonsai my work gets me to Brazil. In normal years, up to 3 times each year. So I have been hanging out with @Clicio who introduced me to the Brazilian bonsai scene a little.

If you would like one, I have seedlings. I am sure we can find a way.
Wow, ok that sounds great! As long as you think they can survive indoor appartment life in the middle of Sweden? I have understood that they can be quite tricky to keep alive outside of the tropical areas? I have south facing window sills at least.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't shoot her!

Hold her head underwater for 15 minutes every week.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One small note... BRT cuttings may drop all leaves and look dead or sitting and doing nothing. Then may start to open buds and grow slowly.

I second this. I made 3 cuttings this summer after the solstice and gave them a dip in powdered root hormone and stuck them in some used bonsai soil. 2 pushed leaves right away, while the third did nothing (except die back, turning brown down the stem). Eventually, it sprouted leaves near the base. All got some morning sun for a couple hours a day and then bright shade.

My research led me to believe that the best chance of success for cuttings is achieved with "hardwood" cuttings that have begun to get striped bark on the stem. 100% success with this method for me, although it's a sample size of 3.

Reaction score

with thorns.

I’ve tried in a water vial, in a Pot half perlite mix half peat moss both covered by bag and then a mason jar, and half with rooting fert half without.

The closest one was in the bag but it’s cuttings had new growth coming so I wonder if that helped push growth vs using a mature cutting with older growth it might be more dormant? I left the bag open one night accidentally and they dried out so I accepted defeat and pulled them out to try new ones and I broke the roots they had started :/

Top Bottom