BRT Living outside?

Cwenn

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol...nice!

I was trying to figure out which direction the picreel went chronologically.
L-R looks like a haircut.
R-L looks like extensions.
Plus gotta keep you knowing if your contraband is showing, never had other pics to hunt in within the main pic! Is that a Kayak? Rock on!

I reckon this tree will be better than well.

The move essentially cut out both cold and hot extremes that would have killed this thing in Co if it was gonna die!

Just don't freak out when it drops leaves and you'll be fine. Actually, of dropped leaves, they tend to do this when moved.
Some people are of the camp that gradually moving them outside is better because it prevents leaf drop.
I am of the camp that each time they move, the "want to drop leaves" button is reactivated.

This gradual moving, or "2-step" as we foolishly glorify it, makes sense for new vegetables which need the entire plant acclimated.

But with trees only the leaves and less so, green shoots need acclimating. So I just make sure it's healthy and strip all the leaves off upon one move indoors and out. So they never see below 50F.
This way outdoor leaves grow for sun.
And indoor leaves grow for indoor lighting, it also keeps mites from coming indoors, which as you may know, is a bane for houseplants.

I have never actually attempted this with BRT, only ficus, but BRT seem to go through the unnatural leaf drop cycle more and I rarely see em die, so there's no reason it shouldn't work.

For me, that unnatural leaf drop cycle takes too long, a week to decide it'll drop, a week to drop, a week to regrow.
Put em out naked and they'll be at peak efficiency again in one week!

Sorce
One is a pic of my daughters hair, so that’s why the shorter 🤣. I checked to make sure there was nothing… “extra” in the camera roll but was too lazy to crop the image. Patience for plants is plentiful… technology, not so much.
And yup, that’s my dad with one of his fishing kayaks. He was a hippy outdoorsman 😂51F5DBEF-C616-4C19-AF0C-C95C91C59C67.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One is a pic of my daughters hair, so that’s why the shorter 🤣. I checked to make sure there was nothing… “extra” in the camera roll but was too lazy to crop the image. Patience for plants is plentiful… technology, not so much.
And yup, that’s my dad with one of his fishing kayaks. He was a hippy outdoorsman 😂View attachment 424736

Hell Yeah!

I got the same yak and the same beard!

You should smile knowing he is probably reeling in a fattie right now, the even tighter lines remaining to your heart will never be broken even if this plant dies. Never let that be the reason you believe "the big one got away". He is closer than you think.

I believe we are moments away from that thing that renders technology useless, even if it is it's own absurdity.

Now that's freedom!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tough news about your Dad. My Father passed away in 2020 and he lived in Colorado as well.:(

Don't be afraid to prune your tree. Increased foliar mass helps to gain caliper in the trunk. It's a more gentle way to gain size as opposed to unrestrained growth of wood that will be removed later. Referred to as "sacrifice branch", removal of large branches can lead to more "die-back" than you might be ready for.

Prune the top more often than the lower branches. Very apical in it's growth, the Brt can get top heavy and shade out your lower branches.

Cherish your memories and may you rejoin each other in another, better life.....but not yet,not yet.......:cool:

CJSS65

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
My condolences on your loss.

My BRT go outside usually sometime in late may or early June and stay out there until October 15
They do much better and are much happier outside.
During the winter they spend their time in my basement under full spectrum lights for ~14 hours a day and its fairly warm under their lights
They do grow for me under those conditions but its typically a bit slower than in the summer.
They also have a month or two where they dont seem to grow much at all (semi dormant? Not sure
What are your summers like heat wise? Reason I ask is I got a BRT 2 weeks ago and now the leaves won’t open anymore. I’ve been watering and misting every day…. Our temps are already in the 90’s (SF East bay) we get triple in the summer. I did have it outside in morning sun and shade the rest of the day. I moved it to no direct sun but now I am feeling like I should just bring it inside until it isn’t stressed from being transported and then my moving it twice already…. Thoughts?? Please? I love this tree

Attachments

• A1380435-0CD1-4D6A-B68F-E867B07A16C5.jpeg
    A1380435-0CD1-4D6A-B68F-E867B07A16C5.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 7
  • B3624DEF-10AE-4582-A60C-51E056F93F38.jpeg
    B3624DEF-10AE-4582-A60C-51E056F93F38.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 75F47291-3D4F-471B-870B-FDBB61419FED.jpeg
    75F47291-3D4F-471B-870B-FDBB61419FED.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 7
  • FE20B800-3664-4200-B4FB-484824EBBDFF.jpeg
    FE20B800-3664-4200-B4FB-484824EBBDFF.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 30BE39C0-7140-4B3A-8C2E-CD089C4E2A54.jpeg
    30BE39C0-7140-4B3A-8C2E-CD089C4E2A54.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 7

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What are your summers like heat wise? Reason I ask is I got a BRT 2 weeks ago and now the leaves won’t open anymore. I’ve been watering and misting every day…. Our temps are already in the 90’s (SF East bay) we get triple in the summer. I did have it outside in morning sun and shade the rest of the day. I moved it to no direct sun but now I am feeling like I should just bring it inside until it isn’t stressed from being transported and then my moving it twice already…. Thoughts?? Please? I love this tree

We can reach 90 degrees in July and August. BRT are native from Brazil so heat shouldnt bother them. They can and do freak out when moved but they generally recover quite fast from that in my experience. What is the soil mix they are in? How much are you watering each time? Also has it been windy?

They will close their leaves when they are too dry and when it gets windy. You may need to water them 2x a day. They generally dont need to be misted however mine to get watered with an overhead sprinkler. As I said they are tropical so a daily shower shouldnt be something that will harm them.

CJSS65

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
We can reach 90 degrees in July and August. BRT are native from Brazil so heat shouldnt bother them. They can and do freak out when moved but they generally recover quite fast from that in my experience. What is the soil mix they are in? How much are you watering each time? Also has it been windy?

They will close their leaves when they are too dry and when it gets windy. You may need to water them 2x a day. They generally dont need to be misted however mine to get watered with an overhead sprinkler. As I said they are tropical so a daily shower shouldnt be something that will harm them.
Ahhh yes!!! It has been very windy the last 4 days… not so much today though. I do not know the soil mix as it was already planted in a bonsai pot. I did give it a little fertilizer today.

ive been watering with a water can…. I am so concerned that I am going to overwater it but the soil always seems very dry.
I just bought a water / ph meter from Amazon. Waiting for that to come

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ahhh yes!!! It has been very windy the last 4 days… not so much today though. I do not know the soil mix as it was already planted in a bonsai pot. I did give it a little fertilizer today.

ive been watering with a water can…. I am so concerned that I am going to overwater it but the soil always seems very dry.
I just bought a water / ph meter from Amazon. Waiting for that to come

So if it wasnt as windy today, did the leaves open?
BRT like to be on the moister side but not sopping wet. Get a wooden chop stick or piece of a dowel about the same size and stick it in the soil as far down as you can. Leave it there. Check it during the day. When it gets almost dry, you need to water again. When you water, water the soil until it runs out of the bottom of the pot.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine get full sun here and will sometimes close their leaves in the hottest part of the day.

CJSS65

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
O
So if it wasnt as windy today, did the leaves open?
BRT like to be on the moister side but not sopping wet. Get a wooden chop stick or piece of a dowel about the same size and stick it in the soil as far down as you can. Leave it there. Check it during the day. When it gets almost dry, you need to water again. When you water, water the soil until it runs out of the bottom of the pot.
Actually yes!! The leaves started to open up around 5p…. They aren’t completely open but sure looks better than it has the last couple of days.

Great idea on the chopstick for watering!!! Made it so much easier!!

Do you think I am ok with leaving it in the soil it came in?? I mean because I’m not sure if it’s the right soil?? Do you have a brand recommendation?

Thank you so much for responding/replying

CJSS65

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Mine get full sun here and will sometimes close their leaves in the hottest part of the day.
Yes thank you…. My BRT leaves have been closed for about 4 days. The wind wasn’t so bad today and the leaves opened up a little bit around 5p.
Would you mind sharing how hot/dry your summers are??

CJSS65

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I inherited a BRZ from my father when he passed away last month. It made the journey from Colorado to Washington state in a cardboard box. It is growing like crazy now, I’m assuming because it’s always been in survival mode (my parents live at 9700’ in elevation, it’s always been indoors, max 16% humidity).

My question now, is that it’s never been outside. It had access to west, south, and east facing French doors and skylights before, and now has its own dedicated grow light. I repotted it as it hadn’t been repotted in over 5 years, and was terribly root bound. I live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state, we experience moderate summers with decent humidity. I have a patio table that has a sun sail over the top. Should I eventually move this baby outside (in small steps) when it warms up?

Pictures are of when I first got it home, and now three weeks later with all the new growth.
Thank you!View attachment 424135View attachment 424134
I accidentally highjacked your feed… no disrespect meant. I am sorry for your loss. Did you name your BRT after your dad? I would have and get a pot with his picture glazed into it. I hope your tree stays with you forever… a wonderful remembrance!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yes thank you…. My BRT leaves have been closed for about 4 days. The wind wasn’t so bad today and the leaves opened up a little bit around 5p.
Would you mind sharing how hot/dry your summers are
Glad to hear they're opening. Sometimes they get fussy about being moved and close their leaves in rebellion. The weather here is a rollercoaster. A week ago we had a record 94, today it was in the 60's. We can get 100 degrees in the summer occasionally. But we also have stupid high humidity in the summer.

CJSS65

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Ya our summers are dry…. Dry dry dry!!! I am actually thinking I should bring my BRT in during July / Aug. but that means moving it again! 🤯🤦‍♀️

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Ya our summers are dry…. Dry dry dry!!! I am actually thinking I should bring my BRT in during July / Aug. but that means moving it again! 🤯🤦‍♀️
They much prefer being outside when they can. Just don't let it dry out.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
O

Actually yes!! The leaves started to open up around 5p…. They aren’t completely open but sure looks better than it has the last couple of days.

Great idea on the chopstick for watering!!! Made it so much easier!!

Do you think I am ok with leaving it in the soil it came in?? I mean because I’m not sure if it’s the right soil?? Do you have a brand recommendation?

Thank you so much for responding/replying

I would leave it I the soil it is in.
Also don't bring it inside during July - August. Leave it outside just make sure it gets enough water.

I use a mixture of lava, pumice, and akadama which works well for me, but I don't have dry summers. It's typically rather humid here and that soil composition is free draining and does not hold a lot of water so overwatering is almost impossible. You will need to adjust your soil to your conditions and what works for your trees. I would recommend finding a local club and/or some one that has BRT and see what works for them.

Lastly please put your location on your profile so we don't have to repeatedly ask you and can give you proper advice

CJSS65

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you Paradox. I’ll leave my tree outside.
And being new here it took me a minute to figure out how to add info to my profile. I think I got it now.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you Paradox. I’ll leave my tree outside.
And being new here it took me a minute to figure out how to add info to my profile. I think I got it now.

You didnt. :) When you get it youll see it under your name next to your posts.

Click on your name on the top right of the page.
Click on account details
Scroll down and put in your location in the location field
Scroll down and click on save at the bottom of the screen

Top Bottom