Bulk Pumice Source?

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
Hey Folks,

I’m looking for a bulk supplier for pumice. Does anyone know of a source that sells more than 5 gallon containers? Is this a good price?

Thanks for any help,

Bobby

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i buy this at a local hydroponic store for about $15 a bag. West coast guys can get truckloads but this is about the best I have found in the southeast. I like it because the size varies and it is not stark white like many you find.

Mother Earth Volcanite Pumice
I have been using this but it is about $35 on Amazon. Wish I could find it for $15. I would like to fill a grow bed with it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand customer loyalty but this is twice the price of Mother Earth Pumice on Amazon.
Amazon - 1 cubic foot / 28+ liters / 7+ gallons / $33.40 free shipping
General - .4 cubic foot / 11+ liters / 3 gallons / $29.95 free shipping
I am using ME from Amazon now and it is a decent product. An advantage of GP pumice is the grading for those who care to pay twice the price.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I understand customer loyalty but this is twice the price of Mother Earth Pumice on Amazon.
I am using ME from Amazon now and it is a decent product. An advantage of GP pumice is the grading for those who care to pay twice the price.

Thanks you Penumbra! I will getting my pumice from Amazon on the next order.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I have been using this but it is about $35 on Amazon. Wish I could find it for $15. I would like to fill a grow bed with it.

See if you can find a hydroponic shop you can pick up from. The one I go to has it for $17 actually but it comes to the amazon price once you add shipping. Here is where I get it but will come out to same with shipping.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow. Last time I ordered from General (maybe 18 months ago) the price was for 1 cubic foot, I'm pretty sure.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@bobbywett how far are you from Harrisburg? Nature's way nursery has a one ton bag of pumice just chilling on a pallet. I'd call and ask if they will give pricing on a bulk purchase. They typically sell them by the sack (no idea what weight the sacks are 35-40lbs?).

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i buy this at a local hydroponic store for about $15 a bag. West coast guys can get truckloads but this is about the best I have found in the southeast. I like it because the size varies and it is not stark white like many you find.

Mother Earth Volcanite Pumice
That's what I use. Took me a while to figure out that I had to ask for "vulcanite" and not pumice when I called the hydro shops. Most of them don't use the same terminology that we do. Great product, however.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Maybe you guys are looking for larger quantity but I have been ordered from bonsaijack. The pumice are clean and consistent in size so I feel it’s worth the price. Most importantly, pumic don’t break down so I reuse them after repotting. Just hose the Akadama away, dry and store away for next use.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
See if you can find a hydroponic shop you can pick up from. The one I go to has it for $17 actually but it comes to the amazon price once you add shipping. Here is where I get it but will come out to same with shipping.

Definitely try and find it locally. If you don't need shipping it's $15-20 a bag.

Here's where I get it in Maine:

I think it's actually cheaper in store than the listed price on the site.

Once sifted, it's not bad. I use the fines for cuttings.

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
@bobbywett how far are you from Harrisburg? Nature's way nursery has a one ton bag of pumice just chilling on a pallet. I'd call and ask if they will give pricing on a bulk purchase. They typically sell them by the sack (no idea what weight the sacks are 35-40lbs?).

Thanks for the idea ... I picked up two bags from Jim Doyle this past weekend. $38.00 each plus a 10% discount!

Attachments

• 68734C59-02BA-482A-834B-B769697BBC33.jpeg
    68734C59-02BA-482A-834B-B769697BBC33.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 58

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
+50 bags and get it dropped shipped on pallet

Are there not any large nurseries that use it as a bulk soil component on East Coast? I know shipping is expensive and most sources are west of the Mississippi River or even the Rockies. But with the drop in fuel prices maybe a club could hire a truck to get a load. The most reliable eastern most source I had found was NE New Mexico. One of those giant 30 yard gravel haulers could probably supply enough pumice for an entire state’s worth of bonsai clubs!

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I’m looking for a bulk supplier for pumice. Does anyone know of a source that sells more than 5 gallon containers? Is this a good price?

Thanks for any help,

Bobby

I buy 50 lb bags of pumice for $20 each from Hess Pumice in Malad Idaho. I get 1/8-3/8 inch with the fones sifted out. i stop by the plant to pick it up. Shipping via UPS etc is $40/bag. They have various sizes.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok, here’s the price list for my hydro shop - cheapest in Chicago for the stuff I buy: pumice, LECA, coco coir, and miscellaneous gardening tools. How do the prices stack up to your local shop?

edit: whoops just noticed the price of pumice LOL🤦🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• A65A47F1-CD6D-4AD6-B2C6-3509B08CC8AB.jpeg
    A65A47F1-CD6D-4AD6-B2C6-3509B08CC8AB.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom