Can a Juniper live well with the right care inside?

tikisteel

Seedling
Reaction score
Snow on a bonsai is one of the prettiest sights to behold.

With 2 c-clamps, plywood, and a couple of 2x4 gussets, you can keep it OUTSIDE the same window, enjoy it every day. Water easily. And it will thrive.

$20

Or you can set up an outdoor video camera and watch it on your tv. Record it all and make the dopest progression video ever.

$200 minus video sales in 20 years.

All my trees are on windowsills. There is no reason at all you can not have your enjoyment, and a healthy tree.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. But the cat will still die right?
Why skin it? I know, its a cat. Meow. Slice.

Let your tree live! It is way better than a cat. Unless the cat is a tiger. But then it would enjoy an indoor ficus! Unless it is a siberian tiger, back to Tamarack.

Either way, you are much more likely to own a tiger than have a happy juniper inside. We can talk about feeding it rice cakes and butternut squash all day. It still wont become a Puma. Which, may frequent your yard. Or a lynx. But there are too many links to threads with questions like this that all get answered no.

But your tree will be safe from it up on that rig you made on the windowsill!

Sorce

Could you post a picture of your setup?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, there is 2 main reasons I would rather have it inside. first one is that it's winter 9 months of the year where I live. The second reason is that My family has 3 dogs and 2 cats that like to frequently go outside, and i'm sure they would love to pester with them. However if I could find a nice decorative stand, that might be interesting.

Where in Minnesota is there 9 months of winter ? I don't think that's zone 4. My trees are outside 8 months out of the year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You seem young...you mentioned your dad earlier in one of your posts. So I get your way of thinking...we just can't advise on how to do something that many find difficult and the end results are often loss of a tree. (If I am wrong...I didn't mean to be offensive)

I speak for myself...but, imagine we don't want to be a source of information that gives ill advice which in the long run kills your tree. Bonsai is a fun hobby...some are even more into than just a hobby...they do bonsai shows and it's a big part of what brings them joy. Your carefree attitude is foreign to them. It was for myself a bit until you mentioned your dad.

Bonsai is a fun hobby...I hope you find the enjoyment of it that we all do. Ficus an indoor bonsai was mentioned...and I hope that you take the opportunity to maybe read up on the care of those and get one of those as well. It's more fun when you see the fruits of your labor in a healthy tree.

Outdoor bonsai material is fun as well...it allows guests who enter your outdoor areas a conversation piece. As well as allowing it to thrive.

I wish you and your trees well...have a great day! :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I have an idea (it happens every once in a while:eek:). You seem like someone who likes to try new things or experiment, so I propose we try an experiment now: keep one inside and one outside. Do some research on how to properly overwinter a tree in your climate...several very experienced people from your neck of the woods have already posted in this thread and they could really give you some good advice now. Over the course of the next year, you should try and keep notes on each tree- how they look (foliage color and shape) and grow, how often they need to be watered (you'll need to do a lot of research on this one), any health issues that you think they may have like insects or infections, etc.. I think this could be a great learning experience for you...and you will have a better chance of having a living juniper come next spring:). Good luck and have fun.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Procumbens love really cold weather. I left all of mine out all winter next to my tamaracks. They enjoyed it immensely. I have as nice of weather as you and being outside would be the way to go. They like fresh air and humidity. No matter what you think they will croak if kept outside. Later if not sooner. We all like to be able to view our trees more but we do what is best for the tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not an opinion, but a fact. It wont survive inside, period.

I love definitive statements like this. I suspect Jack Wikle does as well.

OP, if you're insistent on trying this, I suggest reading the following article:

http://www.fukubonsai.com/2b2a2a.html

Junipers (some, at least) can be grown indoors, but it is not easy. Here is a quote from the linked article:

Now, how about needle evergreens as fluorescent light bonsai? I have heard again and again that junipers (Juniperus spp.) cannot be grown indoors for any length of time. I know that even if I swear here that my two oldest indoor junipers have grown inside under cool white fluorescent light for 21 and 19 years respectively with no outdoor vacations, there will be those who read this and continue to assure their friends that it cannot be done. Admittedly juniper growth is slow under fluorescent light, but they survive and are healthy.

I am convinced that most people, trying to be nice to their trees, over water junipers indoors. Let the soil surface of the established juniper get definitely dry between waterings. Incidentally, boxwoods, cotoneasters and serissas respond well to this treatment too; most azaleas also in my experience.

Other needle evergreens that have done well for me indoors under fluorescent light are true cypresses (Cupressus spp.), false cypresses (Chamaecyparis spp.), and surprisingly, little gem Norway spruce (Picea abies 'Little Gem').

I'm going to get my flak jacket now in preparation for the usual barrage of posters telling me how Jack has been doing it for 30 years, how he could make a broom stick grow, etc.

Bottom line...if you want, give it a try with a cheap juniper. As Dave suggested, keep notes. Let us know what happens.

Chris

tikisteel

Seedling
Reaction score
I love definitive statements like this. I suspect Jack Wikle does as well.

OP, if you're insistent on trying this, I suggest reading the following article:

http://www.fukubonsai.com/2b2a2a.html

Junipers (some, at least) can be grown indoors, but it is not easy. Here is a quote from the linked article:

Now, how about needle evergreens as fluorescent light bonsai? I have heard again and again that junipers (Juniperus spp.) cannot be grown indoors for any length of time. I know that even if I swear here that my two oldest indoor junipers have grown inside under cool white fluorescent light for 21 and 19 years respectively with no outdoor vacations, there will be those who read this and continue to assure their friends that it cannot be done. Admittedly juniper growth is slow under fluorescent light, but they survive and are healthy.

I am convinced that most people, trying to be nice to their trees, over water junipers indoors. Let the soil surface of the established juniper get definitely dry between waterings. Incidentally, boxwoods, cotoneasters and serissas respond well to this treatment too; most azaleas also in my experience.

Other needle evergreens that have done well for me indoors under fluorescent light are true cypresses (Cupressus spp.), false cypresses (Chamaecyparis spp.), and surprisingly, little gem Norway spruce (Picea abies 'Little Gem').

I'm going to get my flak jacket now in preparation for the usual barrage of posters telling me how Jack has been doing it for 30 years, how he could make a broom stick grow, etc.

Bottom line...if you want, give it a try with a cheap juniper. As Dave suggested, keep notes. Let us know what happens.

Chris
That's why I bought 2 of them :D. I will take pictures of both once of month and take extensive notes. I was going to link jack's article to that naysayer, but I didn't care much about trying to enlighten him. Anyways thanks to all for your comments and criticism. I just wanted to see if anybody had first hand experience and could share some tips. This should be pretty fun. Also if someone is selling or know where I could find a nice stand for my outdoors one, I would greatly appreciate it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I plan on bringing the juniper outside as soon as it starts getting cold. Then I will only bring it in when it's been out there for 4 months after the first big snow.

So then...what's the point in bringing it inside...:confused::confused:

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Different Approach

OK TIKI you want to be able to enjoy your trees. And yes we all do. But here is another option to properly caring for your trees (keeping them thriving not just surviving). You can obtain an attached greenhouse with full environmental control (heat, cooling, humidity, lighting, etc.) It is attached so you can easily go in to appreciate, or sit and look in, your trees. It is environmentally controlled so the trees can survive. The only problem, other than electricity/gas, etc. is that you generally will have only one one, meaning you can't have both tropical and junipers.

Ok you have lots of advise and now it is up to you. But please keep us informed and stay with this wonderfully addictive hobby.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan on bringing the juniper outside as soon as it starts getting cold. Then I will only bring it in when it's been out there for 4 months after the first big snow.

It needs at least 1000 hours of complete dormancy. If you bring it in after the first big snow you miss the optimum dormancy period. Up here where I live that's February. Probably same time for you. If you wait that long why not the whole winter.
If you do get it to survive inside good for you. Me? I have plenty of.space outside to keep trees. And it never hurt anyone to get up and go outside. I brought one inside once for a Thanksgiving decoration. Everyone thought it was cool. Not me. Seemed unnatural somehow. It didn't look right to me. I'm used to seeing bonsai outside. I would really freak if I put one in a show knowing it would be inside for two or more days.
But in the end they are your trees and you can do what you want to do with them. Inside or outside is your choice.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It needs at least 1000 hours of complete dormancy.

Can you explain how this statement meshes with

1) fourteener's observation that "A 93 year old gentleman from my church, has had a procumbens juniper from the white van bonsai man in his senior apartment for 25 years."

and

2) Wikle's statement that "I know that even if I swear here that my two oldest indoor junipers have grown inside under cool white fluorescent light for 21 and 19 years respectively with no outdoor vacations, there will be those who read this and continue to assure their friends that it cannot be done."

Did these two have some kinds of super-junipers? Black magic? Or perhaps, your assertion is incorrect?

Chris

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe my assertion is incorrect but I still wouldn't try to keep one inside for a whole year. How many other people have you heard of besides those two that were able to keep one alive inside for any length of time versus people who try to keep a juniper inside and it died. Maybe those two people did have super junipers as you say. Why don't you keep one inside for a few years and see how it goes?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you explain how this statement meshes with

1) fourteener's observation that "A 93 year old gentleman from my church, has had a procumbens juniper from the white van bonsai man in his senior apartment for 25 years."

and

2) Wikle's statement that "I know that even if I swear here that my two oldest indoor junipers have grown inside under cool white fluorescent light for 21 and 19 years respectively with no outdoor vacations, there will be those who read this and continue to assure their friends that it cannot be done."

Did these two have some kinds of super-junipers? Black magic? Or perhaps, your assertion is incorrect?

Chris

I just go by what Brent Walston says for the prescribed dormancy period. 1000 hours is the number. Google hours needed for dormancy in juniper bonsai.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe my assertion is incorrect but I still wouldn't try to keep one inside for a whole year. How many other people have you heard of besides those two that were able to keep one alive inside for any length of time versus people who try to keep a juniper inside and it died. Maybe those two people did have super junipers as you say. Why don't you keep one inside for a few years and see how it goes?
I don't need to do it, others have already shown it can be done. Most people don't try. Why? Because it's just easier to keep them outdoors with a dormant period. Most who try probably don't provide enough light, or over-water, whatever.

I just go by what Brent Walston says for the prescribed dormancy period. 1000 hours is the number. Google hours needed for dormancy in juniper bonsai.
Brent's quote in his dormancy article is:

"For most of these species it is 1000 hours of temperatures below 40F" (emphasis mine). Nowhere does he specifically mention junipers. Now, there are certainly species that do require the dormant period, and Wikle mentions that in his article. But junipers seem to fall into a grey area...perhaps they are healthiest when they experience a dormant period, but they do not appear to require it...at least, not all of them.

Incidentally, I just remembered that when I took my first bonsai class with Bill Valavanis in the fall a few years ago, one of the trees that we worked on was a procumbens juniper. It was repotted with major root work, pruned, and wired...all in September. He advised to keep it indoors either under lights or in a bright window for the winter. The tree suffered no ill effects from that treatment and came through it's no dormancy winter just fine. Now that's only one winter...but if the tree "absolutely requires 1000 hours..." it should have died, right?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I only havve things on the sill itself.

Google air conditioning support bracket.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't need to do it, others have already shown it can be done. Most people don't try. Why? Because it's just easier to keep them outdoors with a dormant period. Most who try probably don't provide enough light, or over-water, whatever.

Yes, out of the thousands of people that have tried growing juniper indoors, a very small handful have managed.it. Jack has managed it on a larger scale than anyone. We all know why he is sucessful. How many did he kill before he figured it out? Probably alot. Besides his years of experience, he probably also has a bit better setup for them than a window sill.

If it could be done easily or even with moderate difficulty, everyone would have junipers happily growing inside their house. We dont because it is extremely difficult to do, if not nearly impossible.

These junipers will die.

This thread is a waste of everyone's time. Why the OP even bothered post is beyond me because the OP is only interested in the answers he/she wants to hear. How many have come here with the exact same question and refused to accept any answer but the one they sought? How many of them are still around? None because they gave up on the hobby faster than their trees died instead of learning to provide what the trees need over their own selfish desire.

You cant help someone that has already made up their mind.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, out of the thousands of people that have tried growing juniper indoors, a very small handful have managed.it. Jack has managed it on a larger scale than anyone. We all know why he is sucessful. How many did he kill before he figured it out? Probably alot. Besides his years of experience, he probably also has a bit better setup for them than a window sill.

If it could be done easily or even with moderate difficulty, everyone would have junipers happily growing inside their house. We dont because it is extremely difficult to do, if not nearly impossible.

These junipers will die.

This thread is a waste of everyone's time. Why the OP even bothered post is beyond me because the OP is only interested in the answers he/she wants to hear. How many have come here with the exact same question and refused to accept any answer but the one they sought? How many of them are still around? None because they gave up on the hobby faster than their trees died instead of learning to provide what the trees need over their own selfish desire.

You cant help someone that has already made up their mind.

Do you see the irony in your last statement? :)

The point is, we know it's not as easy as growing them outdoors. But it has been done (and we have no idea how many have done it successfully, do we?) and those who have done it, such as Jack, have provided information that indicates what it takes. It is up to the original poster, or anyone else, to take heed of that information and put it to good use. But just saying "It wont survive inside, period" is just as wrong as telling someone that it is easy to do.

The question was "can a juniper live well with the right care inside?" The answer is yes. Whether the original poster can provide that care is up to him.

Incidentally, I just found out that Jack Wikle is scheduled to visit Rochester for a club meeting next year. Very much looking forward to hearing what he has to say on this subject.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here in the Northeast with all the fungal problems, mites, scale, yellowing foliage for no apparent reason. Also, the tree deciding it no longer needs the main anchoring branch in the design even though you strongly disagree.:D To try to grow them inside is not even something worth considering. In perfect conditions and care, some junipers still slowly decline in health.

Rob

Top Bottom