Can a rotary tool substitute a concave cutter

brp7

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

Can we use a rotary tool instead of a concave cutter for cutting thick trunks? Is there anybody in this group who does like that?

Thanks,
brp7

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would personally always use sharp compact saw over power toolo_O.

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think that you can use anything as long as the final effect is what you need, and it does not affect the health of the tree and the quality of the cut. Kimura used (and uses) chainsaws and other electric tools, so if a rotary tool works for you then go ahead.

I do use a rotary tool for cutting thick trunks when carving them, just because it does not pay to change the tool for another one in the middle of work.

In most situations it will be faster to use a cutter, though, especially when the branch/trunk diameter is small enough ;)

Also, using a rotary tool for cutting live branches can be problematic because you can seriously damage bark or cambium. Also, the edge can be left uneven or torn, and this is not good for healing.

Last edited:

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone ever try using a jeweler saw? The teeth are super fine. I used to cut through precious metals like butter. Doing a curved cut would be easy or other shapes. I plan to try it on some of my tree’s growing in the ground this coming spring. Probably make a post about it.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone ever try using a jeweler saw? The teeth are super fine. I used to cut through precious metals like butter. Doing a curved cut would be easy or other shapes. I plan to try it on some of my tree’s growing in the ground this coming spring. Probably make a post about it.
I would think the fresh wood will gum it up quickly, but no way to know for sure unless somebody tries..

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would think the fresh wood will gum it up quickly, but no way to know for sure unless somebody tries..
For sure it would gum up on the smaller sizes. But there are ones with larger teeth. It’s incredible how small they get.

Top Bottom