Can I graft hinoki cypress to thuja occidentalis?

minkes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi! I want to ask if it is possible to graft hinoki cypress foliage or other cultivars of cypress to thuja occidentalis? Has anybody success with it?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
As long as I know grafting conifers in diferent genus can be done, so it probably should be possible

Juniperus squamata grafted on Platycladus orientalis
800px-Juniperus_squamata_%27Blue_Star%27_on_Thuja_orientalis_rootstock.jpg

Juniperus, Chamaecyparis and Thuja grafted together
Multi-Generic-2.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m very interested in any info you find on grafting . These 2 trees together . You can PM if you prefer . All I have found out is that basically can be done abs has been done . I’m assuming like everyone . Your goal is the improved foliage of Hinoki . My interest is to graft dwarf thuja to wild collected thuja . In case your interested Primo is a outstanding cultivar that is very Hinoki in appearance . May be difficult for you to source . My intentions are to sly of hand duplicate the stunning dwarf foliage of cold and wind tortured thuja That is impossible to keep and or duplicate in culture .

Attachments

• 5DBAFE6E-C99F-4CC7-86FA-53BB7EFFCCC0.png
    5DBAFE6E-C99F-4CC7-86FA-53BB7EFFCCC0.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 36

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In case your interested Primo is a outstanding cultivar that is very Hinoki in appearance .
That sounds like a good idea until you're facing the same problems as I had with my chinensis juniper grafted on italian cypress; in spring the emerging shoots look similar and can be difficult to distinguish.
I use those shoots for grafting and more than once found out that my freshly cut shoot ready for wrapping, wasn't juniper but cypress instead.

Ever since I want every understock to be super different from the donor, as long as its for propagating reasons of course. Aesthetically it works to have things looking alike.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That sounds like a good idea until you're facing the same problems as I had with my chinensis juniper grafted on italian cypress; in spring the emerging shoots look similar and can be difficult to distinguish.
I use those shoots for grafting and more than once found out that my freshly cut shoot ready for wrapping, wasn't juniper but cypress instead.

Ever since I want every understock to be super different from the donor, as long as its for propagating reasons of course. Aesthetically it works to have things looking alike.
I think you mis understand or I was not clear enough . I’m referring to the above cultivar of Thuja occedentalis. Primo that has very dwarf tight foliage . Being grafted to wild collected thuja occedentalis. Goal is to completely replace the foliage on the collected tree with the improved cultivar .

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you mis understand or I was not clear enough . I’m referring to the above cultivar of Thuja occedentalis. Primo that has very dwarf tight foliage . Being grafted to wild collected thuja occedentalis. Goal is to completely replace the foliage on the collected tree with the improved cultivar .
Ah right, I thought you were going to use it as a mother stock to graft wild material onto and to take cuttings, scions or air layers from.
I must have imagined reading something else ;-)

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah right, I thought you were going to use it as a mother stock to graft wild material onto and to take cuttings, scions or air layers from.
I must have imagined reading something else ;-)
All good I watched your grafting vid . Very nicely done . Was a little surprised you wrap the scion that tightly . Have seen some that use a baggy . So there is more room . Grafting is one of the things I have no experience in . So I have a learning curve .

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Primo is a outstanding cultivar that is very Hinoki in appearance . May be difficult for you to source .
I have two Primos and I agree that they look very much like a DWARF Hinoki. They are very slow growers for me - but I agree that they are very intriguing.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two Primos and I agree that they look very much like a DWARF Hinoki. They are very slow growers for me - but I agree that they are very intriguing.
A little difficult for me to source . That little thing called a international border . But hopefully will have at least one 6 gallon nursery . Version and a few 3 gallons . For my intended use I see the slow growth as somewhat a positive .

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
All good I watched your grafting vid . Very nicely done . Was a little surprised you wrap the scion that tightly . Have seen some that use a baggy . So there is more room . Grafting is one of the things I have no experience in . So I have a learning curve .
I didn't make any videos! I tried the bag though and bags catch a lot of wind so I recommend using alu wire as a reenforcement on the wound.
I switched to parafilm wraps completely and am also experimenting with early fall grafting instead of spring. Reason 1 to do it in early fall is to avoid young blackbirds that yank the scions out, reason 2 is to avoid nesting birds looking for nesting material and yanking scions out, reason 3 is heat, reason 4 is plant physiology: my plants thicken the most in fall, that's also when they put out the biggest amount of scar tissue and callus.
My grafts have just been through a couple days of freezing temps and they're holding up better than the cuttings I took (to see which will die first, easy indicator).
I think you'll be surprised with how easy grafting can be. Just make sure you do 5 more than you really want, and make sure the donor is in good health.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't make any videos! I tried the bag though and bags catch a lot of wind so I recommend using alu wire as a reenforcement on the wound.
I switched to parafilm wraps completely and am also experimenting with early fall grafting instead of spring. Reason 1 to do it in early fall is to avoid young blackbirds that yank the scions out, reason 2 is to avoid nesting birds looking for nesting material and yanking scions out, reason 3 is heat, reason 4 is plant physiology: my plants thicken the most in fall, that's also when they put out the biggest amount of scar tissue and callus.
My grafts have just been through a couple days of freezing temps and they're holding up better than the cuttings I took (to see which will die first, easy indicator).
I think you'll be surprised with how easy grafting can be. Just make sure you do 5 more than you really want, and make sure the donor is in good health.
Sorry thought the grafting vid was yours . Have to recheck . Thanks for the advice at what time in the fall do you graft .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This grafting thread you made

Attachments

• 61C71111-D81E-4DDB-AD54-CE70ACD17B70.png
    61C71111-D81E-4DDB-AD54-CE70ACD17B70.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom