Can someone explain to me what's going on in this video?

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Youtube just randomly recommended this video to me, and I can't for the life of me figure out what this guy's plan is for the tree and what he did what he did. The only explanation we're given is that it was in need of a new style. It seemed like the tree had great ramification and any tweaks to branch placement could have been accomplished with wire or minor pruning.

Any ideas? Also isn't this like...a *ton* of work for this tree?? I would be really worried about it being able to heal from all of that at once!!

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh. Believe can understand. Do you have familiarity with Mirai Live? As Ryan works on live streams he also explains why doing what he is doing. Ryan also takes questions. This is instructive teaching. Video you sent is instead just illustrating what changes made and would call this observational teaching instead of instructive. Unless asking teacher question little instruction is given. Hope this made some sense:rolleyes:.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
most of the branches had gotten too long and leggy without any taper. he is cutting back into old wood, bringing the tree back to branch stubs as new shoots emerge from each stub the tree will begin to have better branch taper and be higher quality.

i did it to my Chinese elm

Attachments

• 2019-12-24_10-49-14.jpg
    2019-12-24_10-49-14.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2019-12-24_10-49-23.jpg
    2019-12-24_10-49-23.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seemed like the tree had great ramification and any tweaks to branch placement could have been accomplished with wire or minor pruning.
The short answer is that there are some flaws that can't be fixed without starting over. So I believe this is like taking a good tree and trying to make it great.

And keep in mind also that the canopy could grow back in probably just 2-3 seasons, whereas the muscular awesomeness of the decades old trunk itself has been fully retained.

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks all! That makes sense, it was just shocking to me to see so much work being done at once. I don't know what species that is but I'm guessing there's enough water mobility to recover from being pruned back that hard and completely defoliated?

Top Bottom