Can you spot my wiring mistake?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was out checking my JWP for wire that was cutting in, and looking to see how I could tweak it to masked improvements, when I saw it.

Oops! A wiring mistake! I Wired this branch about 3 years ago.

68B4574B-974F-4782-A7B8-6C1E6BB4B8C5.jpeg

Can you see it?

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2 guesses:

1. I can't see where the thicker wire is connected to the thinner wire where the branch first forks. Normally you would continue the thicker wire for one or tow turns past the fork correct?

Inked68B4574B-974F-4782-A7B8-6C1E6BB4B8C5[1]_LI.jpg

2. Or maybe here.

Inke68B4574B-974F-4782-A7B8-6C1E6BB4B8C5[1]_LI.jpg

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
You started the wrapping in the wrong direction in relation to the bend you were making. This is what caused the gapping in the first turn. Starting in the other direction would have compressed the wire instead of creating the gap.

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Bending branches downwards - the first coil should begin on the top of the branch

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2 guesses:

1. I can't see where the thicker wire is connected to the thinner wire where the branch first forks. Normally you would continue the thicker wire for one or tow turns past the fork correct?

View attachment 184821

2. Or maybe here.

View attachment 184822
VAFisher got it right! I ended the main wire too early. I should have continued on as he drew in green, or gone up the other side. Doesn’t matter which, really.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bending branches downwards - the first coil should begin on the top of the branch
No, the wire came from under where it was attached to the branch, then over the top as it started down the branch. That’s all good.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You started the wrapping in the wrong direction in relation to the bend you were making. This is what caused the gapping in the first turn. Starting in the other direction would have compressed the wire instead of creating the gap.
There is a bit of a gap on the first turn. That happened today as I was readjusting the branch. Originally, I had moved the branch over towards the right. And that coil was snug. Today, I changed my mind, and moved it back to the left a bit, which opened the gap.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So...

The problem is the part of the branch close to the trunk isn’t connected by wire to the part of the branch after the first V.

Remember how I said I was adjusting the branch to move it to the left a bit today? Well, as I was doing so, I could feel that something was wrong. If I had tried to bend the branch to the left, it could have easily snapped at the the first joint, where there is no supporting wire!

Fortunately, I felt it, and stopped to take a closer look. I will have to rewire that before I can move that branch!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
VAFisher got it right! I ended the main wire too early. I should have continued on as he drew in green, or gone up the other side. Doesn’t matter which, really.

What do I win?

Top Bottom