Care of Bonsai Stands

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Excellent point. I see many people abusing very expensive stands and I always cringe. When I worked as a luthier, we used to keep the guitars in a temperature and humidity controlled environment at all times to prevent damage to the various woods used in each project.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
when I display me bonsai on my stands, i see that the bonsai pots are equipped with felt pads
that are used to prevent furniture from scuffing floors. By doing so it really prevents scratches.

I had my standmaker make me a round, 5 legged stand out of walnut. It's enroute but when it comes, I'll post a picture. :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
As promised, here's my newest stand. I couldn't believe my stand maker thru in an exact duplicate in minature. How cool is that! The basic stand is a foot in diamter and the little one is
a tad over 3 inches. I'm so fortunate to have this wood artist making my stands...:)

Attachments

• IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 51

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
As promised, here's my newest stand. I couldn't believe my stand maker thru in an exact duplicate in minature. How cool is that! The basic stand is a foot in diamter and the little one is
a tad over 3 inches. I'm so fortunate to have this wood artist making my stands...:)

Just curious, what would a stand like this cost?

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
was under $300. including shipping. Builder is in eagle Idaho. I can supply anyone contact info with a PM just don't want to make the chatline too commercial.

here's a good question. would using both these stands on the same display be attractive, or would it be "overdone"?

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I think it's important in our learning curve to undrstand that with pots and stands both,
elements of "workmanship" like swirls or carved images can be applicable with the tree
or a plain simple pattern can also reflect favorably. this man's workmanship is the best I've found, and I requested the design not to be ornate.

This comment is not to be taken offensively as that's not what's being said here, but there truely is a difference between simple and ornate and with purpose in mind for specific tree.

Enjoy the fours seasons , as there is a seasonality of life, everywhere, in everything, all the time. :)

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I wrote to the Curator of the weyerhauser bonsai collection to get his input on the use of both stands in a display. Thought it was important to share, rather than keep to myself....

Re: the stands, that is a nice, classic design. Regarding using them together, a basic tenet of good traditional display is economy of expression - to not repeat elements - so as an example, we don’t put a trident maple secondary bonsai with a trident maple primary bonsai, or artwork depicting trees in a display with a bonsai, or have a companion plant of chrysanthemums with a scroll image of chrysanthemums. Regarding pots, the usual practice is to not duplicate the shape or color of the bonsai pot in the shape or color of the companion plant’s pot (not round with round, for instance, or blue with blue). Using these two stands together would ensure numerous duplications – both are the exact shape, same design, and both formal (with legs) rather than one formal and one informal – and since they are both round stands, it implies that both pots would be round as well – and probably both formal pots (with feet) since both stands are formal. One can always say “I know about that, and I am doing this by choice”, but then that choice should be well-reasoned, with an expectation that it helps communicate the basic theme of the display. I hope that helps.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it was through a (show critique) video by Ryan Neil that I heard that. He was talking about a burl slab as a stand and that you shouldn't have 2 of those in your composition (even totally different shape and color)...for the same reason the curator mentioned.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
here's a good question. would using both these stands on the same display be attractive, or would it be "overdone"?

If you mean a show it would not be acceptable in a proper presentation. I bet for your own viewing though you could certainly enjoy it.

Top Bottom