Carl Rosner's stolen bonsai

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thats really sad! :mad:

Carl is a great and giving guy, the thief will most likely kill the tree in short order.

Bob O

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I get so sad when I see this. It is almost impossible to protect your bonsai without making your home an armed camp with guard dogs, alarm systems, etc. Let's hope the bonsai thief sees the video and returns the tree...

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems ironic, that I lock my house, I lock my car, but with little effort anyone could get into my backyard where some of my most prized possessions are kept.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very sad. My local bonsai nursery had a theft last month and a very old tree was stolen. Fortunately, and mostly unfortunately, i don't have anything worth stealing yet so I'm ok.

Reaction score
Yes its sad that someone would steal something. But it was on his front porch. What do you expect? Its no surprise that if you put something on your front porch that it makes it more easily accessible to bad people.

I hope he gets it back.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's hope the bonsai thief sees the video and returns the tree...

Assuming that the thief is a nice, sensitive, and honest person, with a sense of justice (most of the thiefs should fall in this category), I am sure that he will be touched by the clip and return the tree..

Last edited:

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
I cant believe how many trees have been stolen lately! first at New England and then this. Its starting to get me worried.. I dont really have anything worth taking besides one ponderosa, but its still getting me paranoid. How often do trees really get stolen? Has there been a pattern of bonsai theft recently?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It must be the economy.
Lost jobs, foreclosures...people must be thinking that stealing bonsai is the answer to their problems.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
a friend of mine had all his stolen last year 4 junipers and 2 months later 3 of them was returned but one was dead i think the realized they couldnt keep them alive so they returned or they couldnt sell them.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It must be the economy.
Lost jobs, foreclosures...people must be thinking that stealing bonsai is the answer to their problems.

Wow we really have fallen on tough times when this is what keeps you from being hungry. I think you'd do better foraging for grubs.

atonalkeb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose that with any art there will always be thievery. Especially so now that Bonsai is becominng popular iin the US. The world in general has always had greed as a motivator. It is the old "I want what I want when I want it" syndrome along with the "I want more, and I don't care!" syndrome.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
But it is now an issue of I want what you have, and I don't care what you think, I am taking it.

The way I see it is, Is there any sense in risking your life to steal a bonsai? And yes I think you risk your life when practicing thievery, on a lot of fronts.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not art thievery. It's kitsch thievery. I'd wager that the people that steal the most bonsai are the "kung foo master wannabes"--the same guys that buy ninja stars on the Internet and have a cheap set of "samurai swords" on their TV console and a plastic buddha statue... They think a bonsai next to those $99 swords and all their other martial arts crappola makes them a Zen master.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not art thievery. It's kitsch thievery. I'd wager that the people that steal the most bonsai are the "kung foo master wannabes"--the same guys that buy ninja stars on the Internet and have a cheap set of "samurai swords" on their TV console and a plastic buddha statue... They think a bonsai next to those $99 swords and all their other martial arts crappola makes them a Zen master.

One man's kitch is another man's Karma.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
rockm I can picture a couple of those guys, funny.

Everybody was kung foo fighting
With fists as fast as lightning.....

I catch grasshoppen in my garden, he better be a ninja.:eek:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"rockm I can picture a couple of those guys, funny."

I was behind a 20 something guy in line at the Safeway the other day. He was buying supermarket sushi :eek: (I can only imagine how old it was). He told the cashier that he'd been at the temple "medatatin'"

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't scowl, just kinda smiled. Eatin' sushi and meditatin' doesn't make you any more "Zen" that doing bonsai does.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
if they catch these rats they should cut off a small finger with a knob cutter.....

Top Bottom