Carmona Tree - leaves falling rapidly

WynsfromCanada

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello,
I need your help, Bonsai experts!!
I got this beautiful tree - my first and only bonsai - a little under a year ago, and keep it indoors in my home in Ontario, CA. For many months, it was healthy and full of leaves!
Unfortunately, the leaves have suddenly started dropping, quite rapidly.The remaining ones appear droopy and I'm really scared I won't be able to revive the tree.
A few additional details:
- I moved to a new place a few months ago, and the tree was likely stressed by this move
- I decided to try pruning it for the first time last month, and soon after this is when I noticed many of the leaves falling
- I may have accidently underwatered it a few times (noob mistake, I know). I have just switched to spray watering (soil, not leaves) after reading that the submersion technique isn't recommended. I watered it yesterday and the soil is still fairly moist, so I'm not sure if drainage is an issue.
- I had been keeping the tree on a windowsill, but it hasn't been getting a lot of light (I live in a basement), so I'm considering moving it to under my grow lights, about 8 inches above the plant. Do you think this will help, or should I leave it on the windowsill?
Thank you in advance for all your help!!

Attachments

• 16215967856434823560942887403714.jpg
    16215967856434823560942887403714.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 16215969229411310579880692054021.jpg
    16215969229411310579880692054021.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 16215969726951752252765244432829.jpg
    16215969726951752252765244432829.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 16215972971594151180288251290163.jpg
    16215972971594151180288251290163.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 25

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
I don't know much about carmonas (except that I had one of these a hundred years ago as a first bonsai too). They sell these a lot in big surfaces, but as far as I know there not easy to keep alive. I've heard someone with a lot of experience saying that his carmona died like this, and he did'n even know why.
My advice is keep taking care of it, and maybe a miracle will happen, but expect the worst.
I'm sorry I can't give you a better help.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have two carmonas, and one has been struggling while the other is doing great. They come from the same place, and get the exact same treatment... yet totally different results

I know they don’t like cold, don’t like inside, don’t like dry
I’d suggest keep it out in shaded area, bring in if temps go below 65, keep soil moist and 🙏

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These things can't really be so hard.

Welcome to Crazy!

I don't think we've ever seen these, or heard information of these, anywhere except right smack in the middle of newbzone.

So we kinda stay in this circular motion reminiscent of a toilet flush.

I reckon if we stop believing they are "difficult", they'll become easy.

Sorce

WynsfromCanada

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know much about carmonas (except that I had one of these a hundred years ago as a first bonsai too). They sell these a lot in big surfaces, but as far as I know there not easy to keep alive. I've heard someone with a lot of experience saying that his carmona died like this, and he did'n even know why.
My advice is keep taking care of it, and maybe a miracle will happen, but expect the worst.
I'm sorry I can't give you a better help.
That's a bit disheartening to read. Regardless, I really appreciate your response, and will continue to give it love and care for as long as it lives. Thank you!!

WynsfromCanada

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have two carmonas, and one has been struggling while the other is doing great. They come from the same place, and get the exact same treatment... yet totally different results

I know they don’t like cold, don’t like inside, don’t like dry
I’d suggest keep it out in shaded area, bring in if temps go below 65, keep soil moist and 🙏
Ah, my bad luck I guess. I'm still hopeful, this plant has brought me a lot of joy over the last year.
Thank you for the suggestions; I try to follow them carefully.
Appreciate the help!!

Last edited:

WynsfromCanada

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These things can't really be so hard.

Welcome to Crazy!

I don't think we've ever seen these, or heard information of these, anywhere except right smack in the middle of newbzone.

So we kinda stay in this circular motion reminiscent of a toilet flush.

I reckon if we stop believing they are "difficult", they'll become easy.

Sorce
I'm not really sure where you're coming from.

I don't believe it's a difficult plant; I was able to keep it alive and healthy for almost a year.
But there's no denying it hasn't been doing well recently, and since the leaves have been dropping rather rapidly, and I don't want to lose the plant, I thought I'd ask for advise from people who are more experienced than me in Bonsais.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read a thing in less than 5 minutes of research that says these are deciduous during the dry season.

A little Clorox under the rim of that bowl if you will.

This is why they drop leaves.

So I wonder why everyone freaks out and looks to every other coincidence for the explanation, believes the coincidence, and changes everything that never needed changing in the first place...and around the bowl we go.

Sorce

Top Bottom