Carpinus shohin display

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Chris,

I see a clear line of communication, albeit subtle. It is indeed a phrase I have not heard often but one nonetheless used.

If you take a closer look at the picture with Will's triangle and carefully look at the branch placement, the tree is indeed bowing to the accent. Although, the original flow seems to the right (trunk) in a 2 dimensional picture, the movement does indeed come forward and to the left in reality (or so it seems to me).

This is a quick virt of what placing the tree on the left would look like. To me the tree is looking away from the entire scene, yet alone the accent.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Perhaps I am missing something, but the first thing that struck me was that the tree definitely moves to the right. It should be displayed on the left side of the grouping, no?

I see both your and Will's points, and actually, I think you are both right :)

Without foilage, given the heavy trunk lean at the apex, I would agree with Will and display this tree on the right.

With foilage (or for that matter with further development of the apex ramification) this tree will be leaning right and I would display it on the left.

I think Rick's picture captures it well - especially if you consider virtual foilage in the first pic. It is indeed subtle and something that I think would be open to interpretation.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't be the first time I had been wrong in a display setting. I just don't think the movement of the tree comes far enough back to the left to justify its placement on the right.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Because of size constraint I can see that my virt may not have represented as clearly what I was trying to convey. So attached is Hans picture in a larger size. The trunk moves to the right and back, then twists on itself towards the front and left. This is what gives me the impression the tree is bowing to the accent.

Good point Greg but something worthy of noting, is that the tree in this instance is displayed without foliage.

Attachments

• Shohin%20display%20Carpinus%2029-03-2007%20002.jpg
    Shohin%20display%20Carpinus%2029-03-2007%20002.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Comments on the scroll. This is a small tansaku shikishi. Most of the scrolls in the display style I study are Yatsugiri size paper (50 to 55 bun wide and 200-210 bun long) 1 bun is approximately 3.03 mm. Total scroll dimensions are about 21-35 cm wide by 106-185 cm long.

Secondly, compared to the size of the scroll, the Jikubou/Jikusaki and Hassou seem larger than the standard. (This may be a perception only without seeing it in real life.) The standard size is 8 or 9 bun, but smaller scrolls can use as small as a 6 bun jikubou/jikusaki. It seems too heavy on the top & bottom for both the size of the tansaku and size of the scroll in its entirety in relation to the Shohin size of the tree.

As for the 2 Dan Taku (2 Shelf Table)...I am referencing Gadou Kyouhon Month 7 (July) Example 1. This was put in a 2 point display with a Black Pine of bunjin styling on a Rosewood Tenzen cut Jiita. My Sensei's recommendation to fix was that the Jiita was too small and that in order to strengthen the feeling of the tree put it on a Nidan Taku. In this case the scroll is to the right of the tree and is positioned away from the tree to about the last 1/3 of the lower tana (shelf). The sumie on the scroll is of a fisherman.

But I agree with Smoke, most of the displays using a Nidan Taku typically use a Byoubuu or just trees and accent plantings without scrolls.

Top Bottom