Cascade Lebanon Cedar

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I really like this species...it is slow to grow but makes a pretty convincing tree from my perspective.

This tree came from Randy Clark at the Bonsai Learning Center in the June of 2011...it was the last one he had but I saw some potential so I gave it a shot...I think it was priced at $95...this is what it looked like when I brought it home...

P1130827.JPG

After some rough initial work...
P1130828.JPG

After a couple a years it was ready for some more work...here it is when I started working on it last night...as you can see it has filled in since the original work...
IMG_0988.jpg

After a couple hours of wiring...
IMG_0993.jpg

and a video of the final results... I suspect this one will find its way onto a rock in the future. At that time I may decide to shorten the cascade branch.
[video=youtube_share;okh6C5JK0aA]http://youtu.be/okh6C5JK0aA[/video]

Enjoy,
John

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice, John!

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Very good work John. I have never seen one of these in person and this as a cascade is a first for me. Would love to see the completed composition.

Bob O

Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I really like this species...it is slow to grow but makes a pretty convincing tree from my perspective.

This tree came from Randy Clark at the Bonsai Learning Center in the June of 2011...it was the last one he had but I saw some potential so I gave it a shot...I think it was priced at $95...this is what it looked like when I brought it home...

P1130827.JPG

After some rough initial work...
P1130828.JPG

After a couple a years it was ready for some more work...here it is when I started working on it last night...as you can see it has filled in since the original work...
IMG_0988.jpg

After a couple hours of wiring...
IMG_0993.jpg

and a video of the final results... I suspect this one will find its way onto a rock in the future. At that time I may decide to shorten the cascade branch.
[video=youtube_share;okh6C5JK0aA]http://youtu.be/okh6C5JK0aA[/video]

Enjoy,
John

Johng,

Yes and I am still mad you got to it before me!

Regards,
Martin

Chucktownbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As always John, very nice work. Did you do any timed pruning on this tree to keep the proportions as you have? Or did you just prune as needed?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi John!
Following your steps once again! is this a regular lebanese cedar?
Did you ever pot it in bonsai soil and a smaller more definitive pot? I would really like to see the process!!!

I just bought which I will slip pot into a harder pot because it is in a plastic bag. Any tips are welcome!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
This one has been in a bonsai container since last spring....it doesnt appear that i took any pics:(

This is a very slow tree...but I do like it. I have been told that they do not like to have their roots messed with...therefore i go easy when repotting. Other than that just fertilizer and water. I prune very in frequently. In fact, I don't think I touched this one at all this year....due to this wire can stay on at least a year and typically holds well.

I did kill my other one last winter but it was completely my fault...left it in the workshop too long....really sucks when you do something stupid like that!

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've got one like 1,25 inch in nursery soil. I might repot into better soil and a growing box next spring.
I was thinking in half bare root repots. Any tips are welcome.
I will create a new thread for it soon. I was looking for an atlas cedar, but pulled the trigger on this one seeing as it can do the job too.

Can I chop just above a branch and pull that branch up and wire it? Does this look good, like we do with deciduous?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
nice tree and work. I don't think cedars like my zone, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way seems to be a shortage of nice cedars here! looking forward to updates on this one!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I've got one like 1,25 inch in nursery soil. I might repot into better soil and a growing box next spring.
I was thinking in half bare root repots. Any tips are welcome.
I will create a new thread for it soon. I was looking for an atlas cedar, but pulled the trigger on this one seeing as it can do the job too.

Can I chop just above a branch and pull that branch up and wire it? Does this look good, like we do with deciduous?

You can chop but it will take a long time to grow a decent transition with this species if needed. Both of the ones I have experience with were already in bonsai soil when I bought them. Even so, I was gentle on the roots when repotting....they never missed a beat..no pouting or changing colors.

I have never done a half bare root...has always seemed a bit over cautious to me....of course, I don't work with trees collected from the mtns either.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Love the progression!! And ive never met randy but brad is a really cool guy. The bonsai learning center is the only bonsai nursery within a 100 mile radius of me (as far as I know) and its only 20 minutes away. I think you took this material to its potential and it really shows your talent john! Love all your azaleas too!

Top Bottom