Cedar elm yamadori

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Won this guy at auction yesterday. He measures about 5ftx5ft. Can't wait to repot, cut back and start working on his future. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has a great start. I like the triple trunk, you don't see that often. I think the composition as a whole needs to be compressed and simplified. In a few years it could be very dynamic.

Reaction score
If I could make a suggestion...
Rather than cutting anything back, I would just brake out the
wire and start wiring all the branches, and let them grow to
thicken up.
I think you have really good potential, the trunks are cool,
you just need to beef up your branches and figure out a style...
:cool:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice score ! I like it just the way it is.

ed

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like everything else it just needs more seasones [FOOTNOTE][/FOOTNOTE] repot in order. I have never seen anything more root bond. I think it will rebound tremendously. After that. After I see how it grows I will start to cut back and develop the fine twigs. Very excited about this one. That's an 8 ft bench it is sitting on. It has two good fronts. Can't wait for May. It looks so good it's sitting in my public area as opposed to m grow out area. It looks great in person. Pics are always half the true caliber.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has a great start. I like the triple trunk, you don't see that often. I think the composition as a whole needs to be compressed and simplified. In a few years it could be very dynamic.

I agree. Right side is way too long, and left side could be compressed a bit. Very nice potential for a clump/group style though, nice score!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll be watching this one, really nice piece of material to work with.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The tree has obvious positive traits that promise to make it into a really good bonsai. The problem is, as I see it, the tree has been neglected for several years. I find it difficult to believe that a tree with all of the qualities of this tree has not been taken care of. Also; the soil looks like the roots have been neglected and its need for repotting probably out weighs its need for anything else. After the repot I think all that you will need is some ramification work and a bit of carefully placed wire. Take it easy on the wire, you don't want to make this tree look contrived.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes next season is a repot and rebound year. It's in bad need of a repot.

Top Bottom