Checking in with another challenging Larch

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great starter tree:D! Good you work with native trees;). Personally do not favor forests. Two/3 trunks one root system much better.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the sketch, give it a go, why not? Can always change it later if you don’t like the path. Def needs a repot I’d say, they don’t like to be root bound at all I don’t think. Which would be my only consideration, it will likely need to be repotted rather frequently to keep its vigor, planting’s can be slightly less conducive to repotting is my only comment. I’ve no doubt you have the aptitude and material to pull it off.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the sketch, give it a go, why not? Can always change it later if you don’t like the path. Def needs a repot I’d say, they don’t like to be root bound at all I don’t think. Which would be my only consideration, it will likely need to be repotted rather frequently to keep its vigor, planting’s can be slightly less conducive to repotting is my only comment. I’ve no doubt you have the aptitude and material to pull it off.
Thanks Waltron, good to know you like the sketch and think it could work. You are right about the potting although im wondering if It would be a bad idea to try and plant this tree straight from nursery can to shallow rock??

It might need an in between potting to prep the roots a little. It does have a lot of good quality feeder roots close to the base without very many long feeders (it came from a bog). For me I just don't think the shafty-ness of the trunk makes it a good stand alone tree, if this doesn't work it should be fun to try the planting. I have quite a few nice barked with interest smaller ones that could be planted on a strong angle like I sketched.

Top Bottom