Checking in with another challenging Larch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @Waltron , it was collected last spring so it needs to sit for now but I think I have a clear plan at least in my head. A lot of the top half right is dead and could be carved for more overall taper. I like this angle for now and the foliage will come in time .

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love the idea, much better than a small tree with no taper. This is what she's asking for, nice. Then let the left side get full and you've got it as if styled by BB.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
What's going on at the base? Have you explored around there any? Also pics of all sides of the tree would be helpful, unless you are pretty set on the side shown.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's going on at the base? Have you explored around there any? Also pics of all sides of the tree would be helpful, unless you are pretty set on the side shown.
Yes, I have poked around the base. There are enough surface roots to work with but its definitely not an amazing nebari. I will take some pics of other sides thanks for asking.

I would put it in the ground to grow roots that could support a bigger foliage mass in a pot. It seems too good of a trunk to chance loosing.
This tree looked weak after its first year of collection but this year it has shown nothing but vigor all year. Just as healthy and happy as any Larch I have growing. Not sure I would gain anything by putting it in the ground. Curious why you would suggest that? Do you think all collected trees should go in the ground after collection? I do occasionally pot a collected tree and then bury the pot in the ground but I dont think its needed here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Matt.

Great news it's vigor! Um...don't change a thing in your growing .....where have you failed? Not here...Ok.

I like this idea from earlier...
https://bonsainut.com/threads/checking-in-with-another-challenging-larch.26245/#post-426650

The "Naka " "most compact" image.

But of course....no rush right!

Can we see it with the shari dead center front...
With a lean so far forward the canopy is over the viewer...
"Leaning forward".?

So far?20170820_050030.jpg

The way that picture sits now...
Why that front? The base?
That "all left" thing it's doing is bothersome.
Uninteresting.

Those other pics where it is turned to see more shari are more interesting.

I don't know how to word this....

Seems like you're following a "front" rule close.
Where I would break that rule a little more to find better top movement.

In all honesty. You have proven yourself to be better than that virt. Don't settle.

I can see this as the Giant grandfather in a wicked forest where....
It doest matter what it looks like...
Or where foliage is...
Because it can be balance with other trees....
And Old trees...like old men....don't care what they look like! Just start ramifying it!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll take you word for it which means you aren't pinching it properly. A vigorous tree should have developed more ramification, even in one growing season. If the tree were mine I'd be working on more foliage and less worry about styling. I just don't see enough to work with yet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your honesty @sorce . Leaning it the opposite direction is an option maybe. I don't think I want to go with my most "compact" virt right now though... I would be cutting out all the taper.

@twisted trees I have only pruned this once maybe that is why less ramification, last year it really sulked and I did not prune at all. I agree there is not enough to work with yet. I see no issue with playing around with design ideas though.

Here are some more pics...

Attachments

• DSC_43311.jpg
    DSC_43311.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_43322.jpg
    DSC_43322.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_43334.jpg
    DSC_43334.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
and more

Attachments

• DSC_43355.jpg
    DSC_43355.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_43377.jpg
    DSC_43377.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_43388.jpg
    DSC_43388.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_433444.jpg
    DSC_433444.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 43

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate your awesomeness!

I'm not saying I'm right....
But I'd take that root that would land just about at my front heavy lean surface height as a sign.

A karma thing.

No doubt you could grow taper into a new section of that compact version.
And the top Jin is ragged! I like that!

Sorce

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
shafty trunk biggest drawback. If you really like the tree thread graft some branches in various places in the shaft area, maybe even down low. when you cut them off later leave a stump so you get some nippling-- or just live with shaftiness forever. Its pretty good though. The other thing is fins some like minded buddies of various sizes and make a geriatric forest--nobody ever does that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
shafty trunk biggest drawback
This is my only issue with this tree, I like your two suggestions. What about making into a longer term project and trying a lot of thread grafts at the base and letting them run free until some taper happens near the base? I bet that would take 5 years but may be worth it.

Also, ive thought of a forest with this one as the main tree, not easy to find trees that would be good buddies but could turn out really interesting and unique. hmmm

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
This is my only issue with this tree, I like your two suggestions. What about making into a longer term project and trying a lot of thread grafts at the base and letting them run free until some taper happens near the base? I bet that would take 5 years but may be worth it.

Also, ive thought of a forest with this one as the main tree, not easy to find trees that would be good buddies but could turn out really interesting and unique. hmmm
root grafted seedlings would expand the immediate base

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ever since @crust mentioned the forest idea for this tree I have been trying to picture it and wasn't sure I could find any good partners for it. I do love forests and think this sketch may be something I could pull off. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom