Chinese Elm repot- did I kill it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I need a better view of the root, but its probably planted by now. Don't worry your going to need a project to uncover and share here next year and this is one of them. We can see what we have together.

I am happy to see someone follow some projects I post. I love to see what others get too.

Pretty sure almost everyone that doesn't accidentally have you on ignore follows.
They just don't say anything!
No one needs El Rooto, J.C.(not that one), or the crazy one who hasn't come out yet, at their door during a full moon, greeted by a pink outlined full moon, with a pair of knob cutters and a bunch of slimy roots like singles in the waistband of what we should further just refer to as "the outfit" , smiling looking for a good time!

What's her name?

Seriously, Elm Root Contest!
Seriously Our Root Contest Elms?
Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If the tree doesn't get sick i guess it looks ok, those elms are immortal right? It looks well cared and closed wound.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not immortal. I killed one last year. Worked the roots hard put it outside,forgot about it,hard freeze,dead tree. That fast.
They can take a lot though.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am happy to see someone follow some projects I post. I love to see what others get too.
Here is a root cutting I started 7-8 years ago. It was really ugly when it started out, not sure why I even kept it, but it was in the ground and didn't need much attention. The roots, base and movement have developed into an interesting shohin candidate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 66

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is a root cutting I started 7-8 years ago. It was really ugly when it started out, not sure why I even kept it, but it was in the ground and didn't need much attention. The roots, base and movement have developed into an interesting shohin candidate.
Very nice! Looks good to me Brian- better than most root cuttings actually. Sometimes the swelling at the top is a little off- putting with root cuttings, does yours have a big swollen spot where the new branches popped?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just a quick update.. bounced back like nothing happened!! I already had to give it a little prune just prior to this pic. I didn't want it to over grow the limited roots with a lot of heat coming this week.. Probably won't prune it a whole bunch more this year... Just depends on how much it grows.
DSC01160.JPG

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well a lot has happened since air made this thread... poor little tree! It was super happy all summer, Fall came and it never dropped it's leaves... on through winter, still never dropped em... I eventually pruned it to remove the leaves and I guess that was stupid because the damn tree barely survived. EVERY BRANCH DIED. EVERY ONE. The ramified, gnarly old looking branches were what I loved about the tree and found myself having to completely regrow damn near every branch. A billion new buds popped all over it... mostly from the trunk... this is what's it looked like after this growing season-IMG_1388.JPG
After some pruning and wire removal, wire application..
IMG_1400.JPGIMG_1402.JPG
I know what y'all were thinking... "I bet that Elm has some junk in the trunk"! You were not wrong in thinking that.
IMG_1403.JPG
The ugliest of ugly views... showing all the scars from the die back
IMG_1395.JPG

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is probably stupid to say, but I really like that pot. Sorry about the tree.

Top Bottom