Choosing a tree for my Dad...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Go ahead with the elm repot if you want to. Buds look fine for root prune and repot. Roots look OK to last another year if you want to leave it in the same pot so either way will still be OK.

Pruning is not time critical so why not leave it so the aged P can be involved - who is this plant for anyhow?

The maple is just showing signs of dry. Your plant first aid should do the trick and I expect by now all those droopy shoots are standing up again. Should be no lasting damage. I doubt it will even drop any leaves. Trees can survive far more than that.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Go ahead with the elm repot if you want to. Buds look fine for root prune and repot. Roots look OK to last another year if you want to leave it in the same pot so either way will still be OK.

Pruning is not time critical so why not leave it so the aged P can be involved - who is this plant for anyhow?

The maple is just showing signs of dry. Your plant first aid should do the trick and I expect by now all those droopy shoots are standing up again. Should be no lasting damage. I doubt it will even drop any leaves. Trees can survive far more than that.
Thanks for this! Yes I definitely need to remember that it is NOT my tree 😂 Just thought it'd be nice to give it to him in a nicer pot. I didn't actually show him it - my Mum suggested not to and have it as a nice surprise!

Thought so about the maple - just have a tendency to worry and be super apprehensive, and doubt what I think I know! Thanks for the reassurance 😊 Many are actually still pretty droopy, but some are looking a lot better.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Job done, bit more masculine for him👍🏻

Attachments

• 20210416_155146.jpg
    20210416_155146.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210416_153945.jpg
    20210416_153945.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210416_153941.jpg