Cjr BC forest #5

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the thick tree on the left, it gives the forest a ton of depth.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I love the thick tree on the left, it gives the forest a ton of depth.
I did not place that second biggest tree willy nilly. The placement and size of tree 1 to 9 was based on a forest bonsai chart I found. Later when placed in a proper pot with sufficient space on both sides, they will look right in my opinion. The forest is in this temporary home to develop its intertwined root mass.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Yep I definitely love this forest. I put this 11 tree planting together back in March. I'm probably gonna add another larger tree on the left. In my head I didn't want too many larger trees as I wanted it to appear that the older trees seeded the forest.

Attachments

• 20230512_162824.jpg
    20230512_162824.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 43

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
End of growth season. With that much growth on top, I am pretty sure the root mass is OK. I will attempt to style the top this winter.
View attachment 516556
True to the growth pattern of BCs, the growth is heavy up top. I had to let that happen to assure the root growth. It appears I will chop most of that top growth to encourage the branches down below.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
End of growth season. With that much growth on top, I am pretty sure the root mass is OK. I will attempt to style the top this winter.
View attachment 516556
Here's a bit of fun. A month ago the top growth was so heavy on a couple trees so I wired a branch out of each of those trees down to look like cascaded branches. Now I wonder what I would do with those branches.
1699470759339.png

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Checked today. Root mass is solid!
Pruned and started working on the top. Using a small carving knife, I carved all the trunks then wired all the main branches. That took half a day.
IMG_0865.jpeg
IMG_0866.jpeg
IMG_0867.jpeg
IMG_0868.jpegIMG_0869.jpegIMG_0871.jpegIMG_0872.jpegIMG_0864.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpeg
    IMG_0870.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 13

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Checked today. Root mass is solid!
Pruned and started working on the top. Using a small carving knife, I carved all the trunks then wired all the main branches. That took half a day.
View attachment 523690
View attachment 523691
View attachment 523692
View attachment 523693View attachment 523694View attachment 523696View attachment 523697View attachment 523698
The sharp carving knife left the cuts super clean, much cleaner than the edges left by the rotary carver. All the bark edges were nice and smooth. I am hoping that the tree will heal up better.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The muck wall is clay and swamp reeds. The soil is 2/3 cheap top soil 1/3 soil conditioner which is mostly bark chip. Soon as I could I throw in Osmocotes Plus.
One thing I want to mention is that I didn't drill any holes into the tray so it holds water. The trees were put in place without any wiring so I had to baby them a while. I believe the water in the tray encouraged more BC roots. In just nine months this set up resulted in a root mass weaved together tight and the trees are solidly in place. The muck wall holds up very well. Naturally some grass has grown on it and keep it together tight. Yes I have to keep them from getting out of control and to mow them with my scissors every few weeks but the result is a very natural looking edge for my forest.

The challenge for this forest is the development of the low branches. This spring I will aggressively prune the tops to allow more sunlight down below for the low branch development.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good morning Uncle, I haven’t post much but looks like you have busy. So when is the big moving day? I want to come by at least one more time before sending you off to the NE.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good morning Uncle, I haven’t post much but looks like you have busy. So when is the big moving day? I want to come by at least one more time before sending you off to the NE.
Spring 2025 I think.

Top Bottom