CM Bonsai. Developing a Seedling Cutting

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of refridgerator dormancy Pine #1.

I brought this seedling cutting into the tent at about 5 weeks of about 34f in the fridge.It was starting to go dormant outside in November.Also these can grow in zone 9?
It was not without consequences conpletely.The needles that touched the edge of the fridge wall surface have a very light green and dry look to them like they succumbed.At any rate it should stull push growth and be fine.
Rootball looked good from the 1 pt Rootpouch.
I also lined the 6” pot with Rootpouch fabric to continue pruning a dense rootball.
Overall happy with this.Trunk over 1” at the roots!!
I think its 7 mnths old from a seedling cutting.Hoping I get 12” candles,but not entirely optimistic I will.
D58928D1-946C-4156-97C3-5297F9793D2D.jpegE9004FF9-6D3F-4FE3-B512-BD4E74057266.jpegE71CE61C-1DB3-46CC-A0A7-EE09EA561A0A.jpeg3790409E-D144-491A-BECD-F01F380F4827.jpegC6B8FCB7-A8AF-4069-9F23-D641F601070E.jpeg9E502146-0149-4620-B20E-C475E4E19E64.jpeg7F1F3071-1E6F-49ED-9933-E60EBFB4B3A6.jpeg

Last edited:

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am curious about if you thought about starting some JRP or JWP seedlings? I am having a hard time finding JRP materials for some reason.
I second this for both but I'm really itching to get my hands on some jwp seedlings! My 2 jbp I got from you are still thriving, I ended up trunk chopping both and wiring up a low shoot for movement and to remove the whorls.IMG_20201214_162916.jpg

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did these survive?
Nope, not sure why they died. Maybe it was too many insults in one year. Chopped and wired last year and bare rooted and root pruned in early spring. The one I started from seed was fine so I assumed the others would be too but I guess not.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got six cmeg1 JBP seedlings wrapped up in cellophane / grow bags / perlite, received back in early October 2020. I wasn't sure whether to continue @cmeg1 's grow tent party mode or not, but figured there should be enough time to get them ready for winter and that that'd be preferable. I left them in their tiny grow bags but for winter insulation purposes, placed those grow bags in baskets of pumice/lava. All survived well except one. The ones that survived blasted roots out of the grow bags and into the pumice/lava, giving me some additional mass to work with prior to repotting.

I repotted them into pumice in spring, then kept them on heatmats in a mini (outdoor) greenhouse until frosts had passed. Three went into colanders, 2 into mini pond baskets (the smallest/shallowest ones).

They're doing very well, are out in full all-day sun with full air flow, and their growth spurts have coincided with the unusually hot spells the PNW has been getting lately. They really liked that May heat wave, and if summer continues being this warm and arid, I hope to stand on the fertilizer gas pedal from now till first frost ( "ol' cmeg would have wanted it that way" ).

@cmeg1 I am 1000% sold on your technique and hope you come out of retirement one day! I've also repotted some of your seedlings at a mentor's nursery and they're all looking great!

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got six cmeg1 JBP seedlings wrapped up in cellophane / grow bags / perlite, received back in early October 2020. I wasn't sure whether to continue @cmeg1 's grow tent party mode or not, but figured there should be enough time to get them ready for winter and that that'd be preferable. I left them in their tiny grow bags but for winter insulation purposes, placed those grow bags in baskets of pumice/lava. All survived well except one. The ones that survived blasted roots out of the grow bags and into the pumice/lava, giving me some additional mass to work with prior to repotting.

I repotted them into pumice in spring, then kept them on heatmats in a mini (outdoor) greenhouse until frosts had passed. Three went into colanders, 2 into mini pond baskets (the smallest/shallowest ones).

They're doing very well, are out in full all-day sun with full air flow, and their growth spurts have coincided with the unusually hot spells the PNW has been getting lately. They really liked that May heat wave, and if summer continues being this warm and arid, I hope to stand on the fertilizer gas pedal from now till first frost ( "ol' cmeg would have wanted it that way" ).

@cmeg1 I am 1000% sold on your technique and hope you come out of retirement one day! I've also repotted some of your seedlings at a mentor's nursery and they're all looking great!
Pics?
thx.Going automated to have more time and will be growing for sure…currently building fully automated ebb and flow tables!!!

Top Bottom