Collected Amelanchier: SO UGLY!

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not gonna lie, this late winter is a tricky time for a noob. Big ugly went back outside when nighttime lows were around 35f. But the last few days have been really cold and we got a big snowstorm yesterday, so I’m kinda scratching my head. Weather due to return to 55f daytime and 35ish overnight. I’m keeping him outside.... 🤞
Its been unpredictable lately. All the trees around me have started to open buds but my bonsai maples haven't broken bud. My spruces and juniper are looking nice though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Sorry I did not respond back in September when you tagged me.

Nice stumps.

The one you brought inside, I would continue to bring inside to avoid hard freezes. The reason is that is as little as 2 or 3 nights indoors at "normal house temperatures" I assume above 65 F. As few as 2 or 3 nights above 65 F will cause the tree to loose cold hardiness. Because of its stay indoors, it will likely have damage from future hard freezes this spring.

Serviceberry is native to your area, and native to a range quite far north of you, into Canada. If you have a string of warm days, leave them outdoors. As long as it cools into the forties at night (near 4 C ) they will keep at least some of their freeze resistance. They can even bloom, then have a late freeze, and their vegetative buds will usually survive, even though all the flower buds and beginning of fruit might get frozen off. So leave it outdoors to keep it at its "normal" level of frost resistance. Normally Amelanchier are very cold tolerant. They are more cold tolerant than apples. They range into Canada into areas that are almost zone 3.

When we bring winter dormant trees inside, for display or to work on them. If we keep them in a warm area for more than 24 hours, it is usually recommended that they not be put back outside, but rather finish out the winter in an area that will stay above freezing. This is why most of us do not bring our trees in to display or work on in the middle of winter.

So leave them out though autumn, through the winter. Only bring them in for a few hours at a time.

I winter my Amelanchier x grandiflora outside, in full sun, on the ground in its plastic Anderson flat. I'm in zone 5b, north of Chicago, about half way to Milwaukee.

Your stumps look like fun projects.

Top Bottom