Collected RMJ

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did a first styling and some clean up of this RMJ collected in May 2018 by Andy Smith estimated to be 90 years old. I got it at the USNBE that year. The past couple years I just let it be. It grew some last year and is growing again so I felt it was okay to do some minimal work on it to compact it and start moving it in the right direction. I will remove the long branch in the lower right eventually. The long branch on the far left in the first photo died; presumably from the stress of collection.

AB082833-3A37-42FA-874F-C1ECAFFC17EE.jpeg
19E3431E-3457-466C-9719-B1D36BB88236.jpeg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Had a rethink on the planting angle.
7D238EE2-9A26-4173-BE4E-E9CF3D8160EA.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I honestly like it better as a slant, or semi-cascade. I would tilt it so the the lowest branch is not parallel to the ground, but I would not "go vertical". I'd try tilting just a degree or two further to the right to bring the lowest branch even lower, making a semi-cascade. Or I would tilt the tree slightly to the left, so the lowest branch is just barely above horizontal, and style the tree as a slanted or windswept style. Reaching out from a cliff face for light.

Its up to you, but fully vertical looks like any juniper from home depot. You loose the uniqueness and the appearance of age.

Top Bottom