Collecting in New Mexico

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Some friends from a bonsai group want to make a trip to new Mexico to collect some ponderosas and some junipers. We are wondering the best time for this there. Some of us have heard October and of course the usual early spring. Is anyone familiar whith this?

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
Collecting in NM

I know for a fact that in Colorado on forest service property the only time you are allowed to collect is April 15 - May 31 with permits of course. I have heard of folks going out in the fall towards late October either on private land or poaching.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Generally speaking, the best time to collect is late Spring just as new growth is about to start. Depending on where you are in New Mexico, that could mean Jan/Feb in the lower elevations, to Apr/May in the higher altitudes. I would check temperature charts for the area you want to go. At the minimum you have to wait until the ground is not frozen.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Generally speaking, the best time to collect is late Spring just as new growth is about to start. Depending on where you are in New Mexico, that could mean Jan/Feb in the lower elevations, to Apr/May in the higher altitudes. I would check temperature charts for the area you want to go. At the minimum you have to wait until the ground is not frozen.

ok kewl..... we will check this out. just checking if anyone has collected here before. Thanks

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Get in contact with the Albuquerque Bonsi Society. They have semi anual digs on private lands. I understand NM is very difficult to find public land to dig on . Ph BTW we desert rats always collect from the end of FEb till the beginning of April. I havn't heard of anyone doing fall collecting out here in the wasteland

Top Bottom