Collecting j. Horozontalis?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful stuff. I haven't seen many elegant potential uprights like a couple of those around here. I'd love to see what you do with these. Happy to see others are successful in collecting these lovely plants.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AND, you probably want to make sure that you take along the proper tool(s)... like a D-11 T, but @ $2,000,000.00 a pop, one of these dirty bastards might not be in the budget... in that case, 3 or 4 crow bars and a LOT of drinkin' water should get the job done!
I like this plan. Think that initially adding some sphagnum moss and slow release fertilizer near the surface of the roots to encourage fine root development might work?

Random User

Reaction score
I am no authority on this type of material... you are far better off with anyone other than myself, I'm more of a deciduous guy... and, contrary to most people here, I am reluctant to do much with fertilizer(s). The moss I'd personally pass on...

If you could pry the overlying rock off the top of the root system, to take a look to see what you can develop, then replace the rock with smaller pieces like a jig saw puzzle, you could monitor the root progression over time. But thats just me... I have a lot of time, and no one to pester me once I have a plan in mind.

Random User

Reaction score
I have some cordless Mikita tools that I take with me when I get a plan together, they reduce the amount of damage done to a tree because you don't do things out of frustration and exhaustion... costly, but worth it.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not exactly my taste, but I have to admit the "vacuum larch" is certainly memorable and provocative.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug up one of these j. Horozontalis today. These are nearly all jammed between rocks for some distance. This one seemed decent enough at first, but still came with only a few fine roots. The sandy soil fell away as soon as it was removed. I potted it in DE with some chopped sphagnum and will be misting the foliage frequently. It's a truly unique tree. I hope it survives. It is a very unique tree.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:p:p:p:p:p Looks like just a little cleanup of the trunk is about all you need!(In a couple of years);)

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:p:p:p:p:p Looks like just a little cleanup of the trunk is about all you need!(In a couple of years);)
I agree. A lot of the interest and drama of this tree is in the subtleties of the deadwood and the interplay with the live vein. Cleaning and lime sulphur of the deadwood when and if it fully recovers should bring out these details.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks really great. Hope she pulls through for you. I’m guessing you can find quite a lot of these out there if you had the time.
Oh there are lots, but most seem either uninteresting or uncollectable. They seem to have long, straight "anchor roots" that go back sometimes several meters between the rocks. I hope to get good at finding and collecting good ones. Some of those roots made me want to stuck with spruce and larch though.

Top Bottom