concave cutters keep getting damaged!

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A dremel!?! Slip stones fellas, slip stones....Same thing used to hone carving tools.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Just noticed that on the Kaneshin website that they can't ship to the U.S?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did a workshop at MABS. The teacher came around to observe/advise on pruining my tree. He handed me his concave cutter so I used it. It was a SS cutter and I couldnt believe how light it was and it cut very well. I tried using mine (cheaper tool, carbon steel) and I was instantly no longer happy with it. I should probably try sharpening them, but Im not sure the best way to do that.

Later that afternoon, I went and upgraded my concave and nob cutters to SS ones. Not sure what brand they are because I cant read the writing on the package....lol. I paid $40 to $50 for 8 inch cutters.

Reactions: Vin

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One of the reasons I went with Kaneshin tools is that they note the type of carbon steel they're using on each tool (with a few exceptions), they use yellow, white and blue paper hitachi steels. I have experience with white and blue steels on both bonsai tools and woodworking tools.

I like blue steel especially for tools I will use on-end with a decent length of time between sharpenings, it's very wear resistant. I like it over stainless because the steel is forge welded to plain iron and therefore the cutting edge can be made harder rather than tempering the hardness lower so that the tool can flex.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of the reasons I went with Kaneshin tools is that they note the type of carbon steel they're using on each tool (with a few exceptions), they use yellow, white and blue paper hitachi steels. I have experience with white and blue steels on both bonsai tools and woodworking tools.

I like blue steel especially for tools I will use on-end with a decent length of time between sharpenings, it's very wear resistant. I like it over stainless because the steel is forge welded to plain iron and therefore the cutting edge can be made harder rather than tempering the hardness lower so that the tool can flex.
Yeah, what he said.

Top Bottom