Considering going this route possibly with my Shohin Bougainvillea...thoughts?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So...I was google image browsing and came across a bonsai I feel I maybe able to take my own Shohin in a similar direction. The branches are still limber enough I feel I can bring the back branch lower to make it more of a horizontal line than it currently is heading upwards.

Or should I just continue to leave it be...and develop more?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 53

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A worthy goal.

Any bending I need is done ASAP (except on really fresh brittle growth). ;)

You can easily bend it this way. The red are cushion/pads (I use old hose, leather piece, tire tubing, etc.). Run a wire (not aluminum) as shown then twist it with pliers...slowly as you push the foliage part towards the pot/root.
View attachment 44603

Hope this helps.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hadn't thought of that Dario...doing that...shifts the soil and brings it down though.

Had been thinking more on the lines of this...not a front view since I can't take a photo and hold branch down at the angle needed. Wiring the branch I have in my hand.

But you give me food for thought.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
By anchoring it to itself, all the force is carried by the trunk...none on the soil or anywhere else. You can do what you have in mind too...they do different things so it depends on your goal. My suggested solution is to bend the trunk more...but it is up to you. :)

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
personally I would leave it and let it grow out more. I like the current slant style look it has going on.

How thick is the trunk? to my eye it looks thick enough so that it would be difficult to get the bend. They can be brittle.

Another option would be to gradually change the planting angle to get the look you are desiring. Its your tree, so experiment with it! You can always buy another..

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I really don't hate the way it seems to be growing now. The semi cascade looks cool but if it were mine I would keep it as it is and just develop branching structure and ramification. Either way I like it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
personally I would leave it and let it grow out more. I like the current slant style look it has going on.

How thick is the trunk? to my eye it looks thick enough so that it would be difficult to get the bend. They can be brittle.

Another option would be to gradually change the planting angle to get the look you are desiring. Its your tree, so experiment with it! You can always buy another..

Thanks...the slant is actually what had me buying it. I liked the character it had which did remind me of the reason I wanted it. (Admired a slanted style while in Honduras in the landscaping) The trunk is approximately 1/2 thick.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To be clear...I like it as it is too...my suggestion is in line to attain your posted "goal" pic. ;)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A few snips of the scissors, will also get you going in the right direction. However, you are NOT going to get that trunk size if you keep your little tree in that pot. BTW, those bark chips in your soil seen rather large.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 18

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To be clear...I like it as it is too...my suggestion is in line to attain your posted "goal" pic. ;)

Thanks...torn between where to go. I do like the slant which is a reminder of my first mission trip to a third world country. Just seen the photo and thought...I could obtain that easily enough. But again...unsure if I wish to go that route. Since I plan on bringing back a honduran coin with this years date...to hang from the lower part of the trunk. Guess I'll leave it as is. With the knowledge I chose to do so.

Thanks guys. :eek:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A few snips of the scissors, will also get you going in the right direction. However, you are NOT going to get that trunk size if you keep your little tree in that pot. BTW, those bark chips in your soil seen rather large.

What would you snip?

The pot is 2" larger than the one it arrived in. Which was where I was originally told to go sith repotting. I have no problem later switching it out...What size would you suggest?

The large bark you see I added just for "looks" to the top if the soil...the soil I chose smaller pieces that came in the special blend of Bougainvilla soil. Which I may mix with some other variable when repotted to make it more bonsai quality. Though the BGI site swears by it...as did a member here who has had luck with it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Soooo...keeping as a slant. Grow out the top into something similar to this I am thinking. Is this a good goal? Or does someone see a better avenue to go with it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 18

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Myself I think you should let it grow an entire 4 seasons and see what its natural tendency is and then plan/proceed. If I remember you have a nice size bottle brush to keep you VERY busy if you want to play a bit - some plants take time and I think this Bougie is one of them. Just my humble opinion.

Grimmy

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with bending, I found out the hard way they can be brittle. I think than if you let t grow into its current shape it will end up interesting enough.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Myself I think you should let it grow an entire 4 seasons and see what its natural tendency is and then plan/proceed. If I remember you have a nice size bottle brush to keep you VERY busy if you want to play a bit - some plants take time and I think this Bougie is one of them. Just my humble opinion.

Grimmy

Indeed...good points on all accounts! I can easily do that...just didn't want to wait to the point I miss something along the way. It is quite small...I agree it needs more development on top. Thanks Grimmy.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bougies are extremely brittle, even the smaller branches will not take much bending before they snap. If you wrap them its less of a problem. The good thing is even if you snap it nearly off, its amazing how fast they will heal when wrapped or wired back together. I have bent 3/8 inch branches, wincing to the sounds of cracking and snapping, and never had a problem with them recovering but a 1/2 trunk may be beyond bending by hand.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bougies are extremely brittle, even the smaller branches will not take much bending before they snap. If you wrap them its less of a problem. The good thing is even if you snap it nearly off, its amazing how fast they will heal when wrapped or wired back together. I have bent 3/8 inch branches, wincing to the sounds of cracking and snapping, and never had a problem with them recovering but a 1/2 trunk may be beyond bending by hand.

ed

I had contemplated repotting at a different angle and moving the small thin branch in back down...but have changed my mind. I am afraid once I do that...and get rid of the slant...there is no turning back. And...the slanted Bougie has more meaning than just a bonsai to me. To lose what it represents would be a shame. I do appreciate alls advice and comments. You persuaded me to keep it as a slant. I am grateful. <3

Top Bottom