Contest for 2023?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How’s about a warp speed styling contest?

like get a new nursery stock juniper under 25$ and we see where you get it in 1 year!

I guess this is something I’d like to do.. like, every year!🤣
There are so many convention demos and YouTube videos on this topic that it has kinda lost its novelty. Maybe that’s just me?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
*"Broom"-showdown.
Haha, this happens at my house after I plant trays of seeds or play with clay at the kitchen table.

Neagari or root-over-rock contest? A good contest is a bit like an étude, I think.
Actually I think neagari is a cool contest idea too.

I like contests that allow one to start up with a wide array of species of fairly humble material (more people likely to participate).

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There are so many convention demos and YouTube videos on this topic that it has kinda lost its novelty. Maybe that’s just me?
Agreed... I see a lot of these... As thumbnails.. I don't watch the videos anymore. 🤓🤓

I use mostly deciduous also...

Where "instant" Bonsai... Is just making a handsome stump. ( 🤣🤣🤣 I'm slightly kidding)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good point. We should make participation optional in that case.
Isn't participation always optional? Boost for kusamono contest; I really liked the succulent from seed idea but nobody has commented on it 😅 y'all scared?

Edit: timeframe for kusamono... Maybe 3 years? One season to grow it out, one to make changes as you see fit, one to finish it up and "style?" Should we allow woody plants or only accept perennials so nobody sneaks a kusamono "bonsai" in?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't participation always optional? Boost for kusamono contest; I really liked the succulent from seed idea but nobody has commented on it 😅 y'all scared?
My comment.. Same as before.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For extra intrigue, maybe make it native perennials (and moss ofc) kusamono?

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't participation always optional?
Yes. My point is that there is quite a bit of "not strictly bonsai" on this forum including suiseki, stands, pot making, trees in nature, flowers in your garden, etc. Lots of stuff related to bonsai, but not exactly bonsai. People can choose to participate or not in these threads...and could participate or not in a kusamono contest.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score

Edit: timeframe for kusamono... Maybe 3 years? One season to grow it out, one to make changes as you see fit, one to finish it up and "style?" Should we allow woody plants or only accept perennials so nobody sneaks a kusamono "bonsai" in?
Not scared but life is too short! but being realistic why from seed? Succulents from cuttings much more available and more likely to engage a wider audience if you realistically want to grow it into something like a bonsai IMHO!

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not scared but life is too short! but being realistic why from seed? Succulents from cuttings much more available and more likely to engage a wider audience if you realistically want to grow it into something like a bonsai IMHO!
Because it's a challenge! If we did from cutting, people in subtropical and tropical climates would have an even bigger step on the rest than they already do. Not hard for someone in so cal to stumble on an established crassula shrub in a friend's yard. Everyone has equal access with seeds, cant say the same for cuttings. Especially if this challenge were to start now, many temperate climate growers would have to have immediate access to mother plants or risk shipping them in the freezing cold.

Why succulents? It's a challenge
Why seeds? Fair and even more of a challenge. Also means portulacaria and jade are practically disqualified (rarely flower and go to seed), and the competition becomes more interesting :)

People should really look through that link I posted, there's tons of really cool, unique, rarely bonsai'd species to nab

Top Bottom