Contest for 2023?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't participation always optional? Boost for kusamono contest; I really liked the succulent from seed idea but nobody has commented on it 😅 y'all scared?

Edit: timeframe for kusamono... Maybe 3 years? One season to grow it out, one to make changes as you see fit, one to finish it up and "style?" Should we allow woody plants or only accept perennials so nobody sneaks a kusamono "bonsai" in?
I'm onboard with the kusamono idea. Sounds fun, and it's something just about anyone can get in on.
3 years sounds reasonable. I would do wood 🤭 because there are many woody species that can make excellent kusamono. Requirements on size, age or the like - maybe requiring newly acquired material, or previously untrained - can mitigate the chances of someone jumping in with a half done mame and calling it kusamono.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Because it's a challenge! If we did from cutting, people in subtropical and tropical climates would have an even bigger step on the rest than they already do. Not hard for someone in so cal to stumble on an established crassula shrub in a friend's yard. Everyone has equal access with seeds, cant say the same for cuttings. Especially if this challenge were to start now, many temperate climate growers would have to have immediate access to mother plants or risk shipping them in the freezing cold.

Why succulents? It's a challenge
Why seeds? Fair and even more of a challenge. Also means portulacaria and jade are practically disqualified (rarely flower and go to seed), and the competition becomes more interesting :)

People should really look through that link I posted, there's tons of really cool, unique, rarely bonsai'd species to nab
Tbf, that would give me an excuse to grow an adenium or 3. Been after one of those for a while and seeds seems the only way over here.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tbf, that would give me an excuse to grow an adenium or 3. Been after one of those for a while and seeds seems the only way over here.
Adenium is something I was very excited about. I've been wondering if you can manipulate them as seedlings to avoid that old "Buddha belly" trope that most finished adeniums have. Plus the market for adenium seeds is really rich and there's a lot of very cool species and varieties available.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, I think the point of the succulent from seed idea is that it is unusual and it isn't normally done. Cuttings seems way too easy and people from Texas and Florida would stomp the challenge.

Furthermore succulents in bonsai are often talked down upon and not considered "true" bonsai. I bet that contest would end with some really stunning and unique finalists and might change a couple people's opinion.

I ask again; are y'all scared? ;)

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Especially if this challenge were to start now, many temperate climate growers would have to have immediate access to mother plants or risk shipping them in the freezing cold.
I think you have to keep in mind that growing anything from seed or cutting will require a LONG time. When growing succulents from seed will in most temperate climates need quite a few years before there is enough mass to them to even think about pruning them. But I digress. Core reason is that I think there are very few succulent species that are even remotely fitting for bonsai.

It's a challenge
True. Question is whether your aim it make a dificult contest, or a contest with the aim that people grow further into the hobby. Making things very dificult often discourages interest and only very few will stick around till the end. Which loopes back to the previous point.

our lovely Bonsai Forum, Indeed has a sub-forum for "Accent Plants"
True, but the discussion was not on accent plants -shitakusa- but on Kusamono, which -afaik- is an artform in and of itself?

participation always optional
Of course. But I thought this was an open minded discussion on what contest would be an idea?

Last edited:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Adenium is something I was very excited about. I've been wondering if you can manipulate them as seedlings to avoid that old "Buddha belly" trope that most finished adeniums have. Plus the market for adenium seeds is really rich and there's a lot of very cool species and varieties available.
Adenium don’t have to be slow either. Some have been known to flower their first year and (from what I’ve read) regularly flower from the third year. They seem to be pretty fast growers from what I’ve seen and there are some weird and wonderful techniques and shapes you can get with them. I imagine its quite climate dependant though.

I’m not sure why you think people might have an advantage with cuttings over seeds or anything else, mind you. Surely a longer, brighter, warmer growing season would be a benefit for any category?

Just to add, I think you’d struggle to get enough people for a succulent contest, especially from seed. Contests here are more likely to gain participation for more standard forms of bonsai IMO. Hence why I said ROR or Neagari. Quirky and huge scope for creativity, but still traditional.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been after one of those for a while and seeds seems the only way over here.
tip!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m not sure why you think people might have an advantage with cuttings over seeds or anything else, mind you. Surely a longer, brighter, warmer growing season would be a benefit for any category?
Think.. Elephant bush cuttings of 20cm thick in climatic ranges where they grow in gardens (Such as london, I think!)

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
True, but the discussion was not on accent plants -shitakusa- but on Kusamono, which -afaik- is an artform in and of itself?
As far as I know; shitakusa is simply kusamono that is being displayed alongside bonsai. This contest would be kusamono as an accent planting would be the center of attention and would not be paired with a tree. But from what I can tell, the only difference between the two is, whether or not you place it next to a tree or not, which is fairly superficial.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As far as I know; shitakusa is simply kusamono that is being displayed alongside bonsai. This contest would be kusamono as an accent planting would be the center of attention and would not be paired with a tree. But from what I can tell, the only difference between the two is, whether or not you place it next to a tree or not, which is fairly superficial.
Well, this is an oversimplification. Traditionally shitakusa is quite subtle, not wanting to take too much attention away from the bonsai when they are presented together. Kusamono, on the other hand, doesn't have this restriction, which allows them to be more bold or creative.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
tip!
Cheers for those links. I’d seen a couple of them previously but either were out of stock or are far more expensive than I’m prepared to pay for a tiddler! They don't seem like they’d take long to reach the sizes available in shops if i grew them seed anyway.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Honestly you dont need 3 years for a Kusamono contest.
These multi year contests are nice and necessary for some things but how about some that dont run so long?
You can do a Kusamono in one year or even a few months.
Forget the starting it from seed thing.....lol
There is lots of really nice Kusamono materials at nurseries during the spring and summer or even around the yard.
Dont limit it to having to grow the damn things from seed..........
Let people use their creativity with what is available to them

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
These multi year contests are nice and necessary for some things but how about some that dont run so long?
There is lots of really nice Kusamono materials at nurseries during the spring and summer or even around the yard.

I was wondering about that. Three years seemed like too much time, but I don’t know much about kusamono, so I figured I was missing something.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How’s about a warp speed styling contest?

like get a new nursery stock juniper under 25$ and we see where you get it in 1 year!

I guess this is something I’d like to do.. like, every year!🤣
I exclude @Hartinez by default because that guy is rocking the nursery stock stylings way too hard.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'd enter a ROR contest.
This is my vote as well, I had wanted to start a ROR this year anyways.

I agree, I don't think Kusamono is the best contest idea (although I'd probably still join one). If it were me making the rules, I'd make it a requirement that the material has to be collected around your area, and not store bought, to make it more interesting.

Top Bottom