Contest tree plus 3 years...

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
I just finished the 'winter wiring' and touch-up' of my 'Contest tree' from the BonsaiTalk 'Fall 2004 Styling Contest'...I took a few photos and thought I would share one here...All of my backdrops and lighting are in storage and inaccessible, so I made due with natural light and a temporary backdrop [my grandson's Halloween costume streched on a fence]...

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Attachments

• 11-12-7.jpg
    11-12-7.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 75

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Behr,

Nice tree! I like the carving on the trunk..... can you show us the before picture from 3 yrs ago?

Thanks, Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember this phoenix graft from the contest quite well, you have taken it in a pleasing direction Behr, excellent work.

For those of you that may have missed it, Behr posted a progression of this sometime ago over at BT. Sorry, for some unknown (and no doubt commerically motivated) reason, you can not view photos there unless you are a member, maybe Behr can post the progressions here for others to view. They are worth seeing.

Will

Last edited:

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
Mr. Jason, Thank you for the comment, and I have attached several photos from the first year of this tree...

Mr. Barry, yes it did survive or at least most of it did...'Keeper'? I'm afraid so...If it became necessary to cull my trees down to only 5 this one would be among them, even though to many it is a lesser tree...It is indeed a 'phoenix graft' and to some that makes it less valuable, but I don't feel that way...If one can achieve skill with this technique, it just becomes another 'tool' to use in creating the artist's visions...

Mr. Attila, thank you so much for that opinion...It is highly valued...

Mr. Will, so you had to tell everything you know, did you?...Yes it is a 'phoenix graft', my first attempt, and the first 'internet styling contest' you promoted...Thank you for the approval, and perhaps with a couple more years of development, I can enter the tree once again in one of the many 'photo contests' you are now involved with...

Attached are photos of the tree from the first year:
1...As entered in the BonsaiTalk contest [posted Nov. 1, 2004]...
2...Decorated for our club party [Dec. 2004]...
3...Displayed at the McNay Art Museum [May 2005]...
4...Ready for display at the community orchestra benefit [Oct. 2005]

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Attachments

• 11-1-4.jpg
    11-1-4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 12-8-4.jpg
    12-8-4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 5-20-5.jpg
    5-20-5.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 10-17-5.jpg
    10-17-5.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 51
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting these photos Behr.
Mr. Will, so you had to tell everything you know, did you?...Yes it is a 'phoenix graft', my first attempt, and the first 'internet styling contest' you promoted...Thank you for the approval, and perhaps with a couple more years of development, I can enter the tree once again in one of the many 'photo contests' you are now involved with...

Yikes, sorry Behr, that's what I remembered, it cause a stir then and gave me a headache, but the right choice was made and your talent shines with this piece.

Ah yes, the first Internet contest I was involved in running, I got myself banned from Garden Web for promoting it, but hey, I have been banned from better forums for less. ;)

I wouldn't wait a couple years to enter this, trust me when I tell you that far less developed bonsai have been entered in the contests I have managed. I will say this, you keep up this quality of work and I'll be begging you for a gallery and profile.

When are we going to see an article on creating Phoenix grafts from you?

Will

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Behr, I couldn't care less if this was a phoenix graft or a tucson graph or a flagstaff gaff - it's a darn attractive bonsai, really quite stunning. The fact that it IS a phoenix graft merely renews my interest in that technique. Really well done.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Behr,

As always, excellent execution of an innovative technique (at least for me). You should write a book about innovative bonsai techniques and feature there things such as the b... plugs, the liveoak style development, the restrained draining for bald cypress, this phoenix graft, and many others. I saw the photo of your tree for the first time a couple of days and it changed my perception of phoenix grafts and the possibilities there; I might even try one.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent, Behr.

Being fortunate enough to have seen this tree in real life,I would say the detail work and creativity in techniques you have used are truly inspiring.

andy

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Well Done Sir!!!

Thanks for posting the extra pictures, and its almost time to decorate again, :)

Jason

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful! I initially didn't realize it was a phoenix graft, but still really enjoyed the image. After Will spilled the beans, I did a double-take, so to speak, and went back to review the pictures again. The tree is so real and convincing. Well done!

Dave

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First of all, once again what a wonderful tree. Secondly, this doesn't surprise me. Behr is one of those rare individuals that can make magic. A great artist, craftsman,teacher and all round great person.:) This tree for a first attempt at tanuki (phoenix) shows that. For those that really want to be wow'd check out this thread at BT on another tanuki of Behrs. It involves seven (count them) different types of Juniper.

As always Behr you've made me go slack jawed. Thanks for sharing this.

I will say this, you keep up this quality of work and I'll be begging you for a gallery and profile.
Will, My two cents are. That you start begging before the train leaves the station. Behrs work equals or exceeds some of those already Highlighted at AoB :) Its always nice when you catch a rising star.

Top Bottom