Contests for the colder months

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Dad somehow received a small electric kiln for free and has zero experience using one, but wants to hook up the power to play with it. I really need to encourage that. It sounds addicting and he only live 10 mins from me.

How small? 120v?

I only ask because, kinda like fish tanks, the smaller they are, the more prone to error. Or, with only one element, if it's bad, it may never get to temp, and just lead to frustration. There are chat rooms on FB amd maybe elsewhere with firing schedules for all types of kilns. This way, if it's supposed to take 8hours to fire, but is taking days, you'll know to replace the element(s).

Have fun!

Sorce

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the info. Now I have to bug him to get the wiring done I believe it’s 240 because he has to run a new dedicated box

edit. Just got off the phone with him it’s a 50 amp power supply which is why he needs to run new electrical but it doesn’t get powerful enough to fuse glass which is what he is interested in. It’s one of those smaller ones comes up to your waist single layer maybe I don’t know shoulder width wide roughly I think. Probably not what we need for bonsai pots.

Last edited:

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the info. Now I have to bug him to get the wiring done I believe it’s 240 because he has to run a new dedicated box
Run it for him. That'll be motivation

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Run it for him. That'll be motivation
Yeah I bet he’d like that. He likes being a semi handyman around the house but electricity scares him. If I tell him I ran a 50 amp power down to his garage from his 200 total amp house power he might freak out a little 🤣

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah I bet he’d like that. He likes being a semi handyman around the house but electricity scares him. If I tell him I ran a 50 amp power down to his garage from his 200 total amp house power he might freak out a little 🤣
So then don't tell him. Still not seeing a problem here.😬

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The thread has been posted. Everyone who is interested, check it out!

Top Bottom