Contorted Camelia

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
lol....Well, there were/are loaded with bud(s). I personally don't partake of the plant, have asthma and can't take smoke. The "mellow" part of my handle comes from my characterization of the a fish, the "popeye mullet" that is abundant on the coast here. Their fry make good bait for redfish and speckled trout, and grown ups are good fried up crispy and served with cheese grits. If you have ever watched a school just swim along and see them jumping around, I don't know, they seem just kinda mellow.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Do you think it is too late to try?

I haven't done Camellia, if the tree is in very active growth, lots of tender green shoots, I would wait until new tender growth has hardened off. If summer looks beastly hot, dry and stressful, wait until cooler weather late August. Other than to avoid high stress time periods, I don't think it matters a lot in your zone, warmer than USDA zone 7a, you can probably ground layer anytime. But avoid the time of year where there is very high water demand. New tender growth, or the beastly hot and dry spells. In the north, cold winter rest areas, I avoid starting an air layer or ground layer when tree is fully dormant. The tree has to form callus, and only after callus has formed, will roots begin to form, so it can be a weeks or months long process, so it would be hard to identify the ideal time to start.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I had a little time to work on trees today and while I was out in the yard I noticed that this one is blooming. I love the shape of these flowers, a little on the large size for bonsai so I am gonna have to shoot for a taller tree. Anyway, here are the flowers:

DSC00040-1.jpg

DSC00043-1.jpg

DSC00055-1.jpg

DSC00056-1.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had a little time to work on trees today and while I was out in the yard I noticed that this one is blooming. I love the shape of these flowers, a little on the large size for bonsai so I am gonna have to shoot for a taller tree. Anyway, here are the flowers:

View attachment 222054

View attachment 222055

View attachment 222056

View attachment 222057
So nice to see something pretty and flowering, when it's cold and everything outside here looks dead and sad.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
So nice to see something pretty and flowering, when it's cold and everything outside here looks dead and sad.

Thanks!

The camellias are blooming everywhere here, I have a few azaleas throwing out random blooms. My hydrangeas are blooming now too, way out of season. If we don't get some cooler weather, I'm gonna have to start repotting, lol. 70's today, a shorts and flip flop kinda day.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The camellias are blooming everywhere here, I have a few azaleas throwing out random blooms. My hydrangeas are blooming now too, way out of season. If we don't get some cooler weather, I'm gonna have to start repotting, lol. 70's today, a shorts and flip flop kinda day.

:(:confused::eek:Jealous!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@Mellow Mullet
I acquired a Camellia 'shishigashira' this winter.
I think (and hope) it's more cold hardy than yours.

Also have large blooms.

I was curious about the ground layer.....any progress, or waiting a little longer to check?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
@Mellow Mullet
I acquired a Camellia 'shishigashira' this winter.
I think (and hope) it's more cold hardy than yours.

Also have large blooms.

I was curious about the ground layer.....any progress, or waiting a little longer to check?

Yes, I am gonna check it next month.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I spent the last couple of days working on this contorted camellia.

It looks great! I've got a Sasanqua here in the tropics, smaller than yours, difficult but the flowers are worth the effort to make they look nice as bonsai.
Congrats!

Last edited:

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What is your soil mix? I am still experimenting with my camellia mix, but they seem to really like akadama. I have one Corkscrew that is basically incorrigible. I have taken the approach to wire minimally as it is not that really that effective and like azaleas the wires need to taken off quickly or heavily wrapped. Knowing when to pinch back seems to be the most critical element for me.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hoping to get it into a training pot this year.

Already stuck in Bonsai pot but have to ask do you want decent trunk or not? Not going to happen in dinky pot:confused:. Have seen one of these Sasanqua Camellias with single red flowers/yellow stamens flower maybe half as big. Also contorted. Have you seen wonderful Banana Magnolia?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
What is your soil mix? I am still experimenting with my camellia mix, but they seem to really like akadama. I have one Corkscrew that is basically incorrigible. I have taken the approach to wire minimally as it is not that really that effective and like azaleas the wires need to taken off quickly or heavily wrapped. Knowing when to pinch back seems to be the most critical element for me.

Hello bunjin, I use a mixture of lava, pumice, and pine or fir bark, 40/40/20 or there abouts. I also added a layer of larger bark on top right after potting it up, most has washed off now. It seems to love it, I don't use akadama, it doesn't work well here, turns to mush in one season, and it is too expensive. We get a lot of rain in Mobile, Al so I have to have something that drains very well.

I have not seen a corkscrew one, on this cultivar the limbs contort more than circle and the wire is more to fan the branches out than to give movement. You are right, pinching or pruning is key, especially if you want flowers. I prune mine in the Spring right after it flowers and then about this time to shape it up again. I wait this late as I can see the flower buds and can carefully prune to keep some.

I will have to keep an eye out for the corkscrew variety, so you have a picture?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Already stuck in Bonsai pot but have to ask do you want decent trunk or not? Not going to happen in dinky pot:confused:. Have seen one of these Sasanqua Camellias with single red flowers/yellow stamens flower maybe half as big. Also contorted. Have you seen wonderful Banana Magnolia?

Whatever...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Have you seen wonderful Banana Magnolia?

To which do you refer?

Magnolia figo (michelia figo or used to be called magnolia fiscati), if so, I have one. It is a difficult species to grow as a bonsai, especially a small one, the branching is very coarse.

Or magnolia macrophylla? It grows wild around here, but is not as common as the southern magnolia. It would not be a good candidate for bonsai, the leaves are sometimes 2 feet long and are very banana like, hence the nickname.

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello bunjin, I use a mixture of lava, pumice, and pine or fir bark, 40/40/20 or there abouts. I also added a layer of larger bark on top right after potting it up, most has washed off now. It seems to love it, I don't use akadama, it doesn't work well here, turns to mush in one season, and it is too expensive. We get a lot of rain in Mobile, Al so I have to have something that drains very well.

I have not seen a corkscrew one, on this cultivar the limbs contort more than circle and the wire is more to fan the branches out than to give movement. You are right, pinching or pruning is key, especially if you want flowers. I prune mine in the Spring right after it flowers and then about this time to shape it up again. I wait this late as I can see the flower buds and can carefully prune to keep some.

I will have to keep an eye out for the corkscrew variety, so you have a picture?
Your Curly Egao is very similar to Egao Corkscrew, which was originated at Nuccio's: https://internationalcamellia.org/international-camellia-register?camelliaId=5462&state=b
ACS did not list Curly Egao. I am not a camellia expert, so maybe someone can enlighten us on where your hybrid came from?

Top Bottom