Corkscrew hazel

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Already posted this tree on ConorDash's thread, but realised that is probably hi-jacking - sorry wasn't intentional! So I created a new thread.

Anyway...I got this corylus avellana because I thought it looked really interesting! My main question is about the bark - the examples I've seen online all seem to have smooth trunks, whereas mine has lots of (what I presume is) old bark. Do people remove the old bark? I really like the look of it!

I did give it a prune but am leaving it in its nursery pot until repotting time.

Any other pearls of wisdom? I'm aware they have quite undesirable leaves for bonsai and the branches can have a mind of their own...but I actually kind of like that! Definitely looking forward to winter - think this guy could look pretty cool!

Attachments

• hazelnut bark.jpg
    hazelnut bark.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 53
  • hazelnut.jpg
    hazelnut.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 52

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your bar is going up.

That's a nice chunk of trunk.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will be encouraged to burn anything lesser!

Sorce

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Already posted this tree on ConorDash's thread, but realised that is probably hi-jacking - sorry wasn't intentional! So I created a new thread.

Anyway...I got this corylus avellana because I thought it looked really interesting! My main question is about the bark - the examples I've seen online all seem to have smooth trunks, whereas mine has lots of (what I presume is) old bark. Do people remove the old bark? I really like the look of it!

I did give it a prune but am leaving it in its nursery pot until repotting time.

Any other pearls of wisdom? I'm aware they have quite undesirable leaves for bonsai and the branches can have a mind of their own...but I actually kind of like that! Definitely looking forward to winter - think this guy could look pretty cool!
I work in the commercial hazelnut production world.

I’m actually scouting an orchard right now for aphid pressure.

Don't mess with the bark, they don’t do well with bark injury and the wood is not rot resistant at all.

They can handle really heavy pruning, and backbud like crazy, but don’t transplant especially well.

I have a few young hazelnut trees that I am messing with as bonsai and root work reduces the vigor of the tree quite a bit, and reduces leaf size, but I think it would be easy to go too far.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I work in the commercial hazelnut production world.

I’m actually scouting an orchard right now for aphid pressure.

Don't mess with the bark, they don’t do well with bark injury and the wood is not rot resistant at all.

They can handle really heavy pruning, and backbud like crazy, but don’t transplant especially well.

I have a few young hazelnut trees that I am messing with as bonsai and root work reduces the vigor of the tree quite a bit, and reduces leaf size, but I think it would be easy to go too far.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I didn't want to touch the bark (I like it) - was more curious about why everyone's else's seem to have smooth trunks! Yeah I haven't repotted, wrong time of year. But I did do a pretty heavy prune, because like you said I'd seen they're pretty tough for that.

It's definitely nice to have another person clarify these things though - so thank you! Will definitely be careful when repotting time comes!

What do you think to my tree? I personally love the trunk and with a bit of thought to the branches I think it could be pretty nice. Always interesting to hear what other people think though, especially since I'm a newby and easily pleased!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There's no reason to apologise.

Generally older gnarly looking bark is extremely desired in bonsai so do all you can to keep it. There isn't much you can to "preserve" it, just dont knock it off accidentally, but at times it will happen. A few of my trees have very flakey bark and it falls off, is what it is.

Looks like they dont like their roots being touched, good to know. I bought 2 similar ones, and I pruned one, and the other I repotted without pruning. Both have ended up being the same, responding well.

Have its winter image in mind when styling it. Catkins, wild branching, what will look best on this tree. Thats what to think of.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
There's no reason to apologise.

Generally older gnarly looking bark is extremely desired in bonsai so do all you can to keep it. There isn't much you can to "preserve" it, just dont knock it off accidentally, but at times it will happen. A few of my trees have very flakey bark and it falls off, is what it is.

Looks like they dont like their roots being touched, good to know. I bought 2 similar ones, and I pruned one, and the other I repotted without pruning. Both have ended up being the same, responding well.

Have its winter image in mind when styling it. Catkins, wild branching, what will look best on this tree. Thats what to think of.

Cheers for the tips - appreciate it! 😊

Top Bottom