Crab apple bonsai question

baazzaa

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife bought me a lovely 7 year old crab apple bonsai. Its in a bonsai pot and its spring here in Ireland, We would watch it grow bigger for a few years beofe brining back to a bonsai pot,

Can anyone tell me what the best approach is to this tree.

Thanks again

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why don't you post a picture so we can get a better idea of what your working with?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Welcome, Bazzaa! (Did I spell that right? ;) )

You did well to tell us where you are: that lets us give more-informed answers to any questions that have to do with climate. I strongly suggest that you update your profile info to include your location. Doesn't have to be exact if you don't want; something like (just for examples) "Irish midlands" or "County Tipp" would be close enough.

My guess is that the new leaves are open and expanding. If so, I would wait until they are fully open and have turned a mature green; then put it into a spot in the garden with minimal root disturbance as you do. It should get over the transplant shock pretty well.

If you don't mind saying, where in Ireland are you? My wife just returned from a wonderful 10-day solo vacation in Birr and the surrounding area. (She has six kids, and a solo vacation -- holiday, I think you call it -- is something she's wanted for years!)

baazzaa

Seedling
Reaction score
thanks tree beard,dont worry about the spelling haha close enough ill try update profile,im terrible with computers,always do the bear minimum.
I live in Dublin, You say your wife was in Birr, Birr is in Offaly, think ive passed through it once suppopse to be a nice county, did she go to birrcastle ,suppose to have amazing grounds.would it grow well enough in a large pot as im happy with whats in the garden at the moment.

ill get taking a few pics today and try to get them up

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
I think you'll be amazed how it's going to throw out shoots throughout the season. If you get a chance, see if you can post a pic. Keep an eye out for aphids as they love young shoots...I battled them all last growing season.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Baazzaa, she brought back some pictures of Birr Castle and the grounds. Ancestors of mine are buried in Shinrone (Sui an Roann now, I think), and that part of Ireland now feels like home to us. We're even pretty adept at driving on the "wrong" side of the road!

We're always happy to answer questions, but joining a club has the advantage that others can see your tree "in person," up close. They'll also be familiar with your local conditions and how those interact with your tree's genetics. I would think there'd be club somewhere in the greater Dublin area. Even if it's an hour's drive away, it would be worth it.

Top Bottom