Crack in pot 2 days after tree repot. Leave ,fix or move tree ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
2 days after repoting this cedar, I just noticed this crack in the pot.
Screenshot_20200503-132239_Gallery.jpg
From inside
Screenshot_20200503-132114_Gallery.jpg
From top
Screenshot_20200503-132133_Gallery.jpg
From outside
Screenshot_20200503-132148_Gallery.jpg

Unless I missed it I'm pretty sure it's new in the pot.

It's a cedrus lebani which I bare rooted around 60 percent and trimmed a few thick roots to anterior ramification with smaller roots.

Pot looked a bit too large to me after repot (can for tree in smaller pot) and my intention was to move to smaller pot on next repot so indent mind changing pot now if it wont harm the tree.

Not sure if it will break if I let it be ?
If I should attempt to fix while tree is in, I can move a bit of the soil next to crack, drill few holes and wire the crack and also squeeze some epoxy in?
Or if I repot the tree with minimal root handling, yet the I'm sure exposing the roots, applying soil again, fixing the tree with anchors, and chop sticking soil in... will all be additional stress to an already tough to repot tree.
Appreciate any advice or suggestion u can give.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Also do u think drilling a clean hole at end of the crack would limit it from expanding more or would it risk an immediate failure while drilling ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What great luck for you! A pot cracked by Karma just for you, and now you can explore Kintsugi!
Thanks for posting this, I've got a broken pot that I've been saving with the intent to learn Kintsugi at some point.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
duct tape and a ball peen hammer. that's all you need in life.

Duct tape to fix everything and the hammer to hit yourself in the head when you forget the duct tape! Lol!

Or,

Tape your eyes shut and go head and smash that pot on through!

Speaking of Hammering through pots.20200503_111244.jpg

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2 days after repoting this cedar, I just noticed this crack in the pot.
View attachment 300237
From inside
View attachment 300234
From top
View attachment 300235
From outside
View attachment 300236

Unless I missed it I'm pretty sure it's new in the pot.

It's a cedrus lebani which I bare rooted around 60 percent and trimmed a few thick roots to anterior ramification with smaller roots.

Pot looked a bit too large to me after repot (can for tree in smaller pot) and my intention was to move to smaller pot on next repot so indent mind changing pot now if it wont harm the tree.

Not sure if it will break if I let it be ?
If I should attempt to fix while tree is in, I can move a bit of the soil next to crack, drill few holes and wire the crack and also squeeze some epoxy in?
Or if I repot the tree with minimal root handling, yet the I'm sure exposing the roots, applying soil again, fixing the tree with anchors, and chop sticking soil in... will all be additional stress to an already tough to repot tree.
Appreciate any advice or suggestion u can give.
Use Crazy Glue, add progressively allowing period of time to dry between!
Works great in all weather and water.
Let the pot edge dry before applying so the ceramic is dry for application.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
What great luck for you! A pot cracked by Karma just for you, and now you can explore Kintsugi!
Thanks for posting. Great way of turning a mishap into something positive and something new to learn and experiment with. Will time.it with next tree repot for sure..

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
duct tape and a ball peen hammer. that's all you need in life.
Evidently, you're not mechanically inclined. You forgot the two tools a maintenance man has to carry: Channel Locks and big screwdriver.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sounds like there's a wild story in there someplace.

Top Bottom