Craig Coussins collection for sale

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
there are times i suppose when one would hypothetically like to live in scotland and be more or less 28000 pounds richer than what they are.....

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
there are times i suppose when one would hypothetically like to live in scotland and be more or less 28000 pounds richer than what they are.....

Thats about $46000. He says there are some 60 trees. That puts each tree under $1000. Seems to me that he may have a better chance of selling them individually or in groups.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Thats about $46000. He says there are some 60 trees. That puts each tree under $1000. Seems to me that he may have a better chance of selling them individually or in groups."

Not really surprising he's selling them all in one go. He's probably looking for another bonsai business to buy him out. Selling each tree piecemeal is a long haul and time consuming to find individual buyers. He's looking for a "lump sum" for the collection probably to re-invest in the suiseki/scroll business.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Never discount health issues - that's often a reason people make radical life changing decisions

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get all the above reasons, and can appreciate them all if any are the case. I hope the guy is happy, healthy and wealthy. I was more or less thinking how do you walk away from a life time hobby / passion, I think I'd be keepin' a tree or two! Who knows, I stress out about leaving my trees for a few days. Forty five years as a hobby-business I'm sure the trees might feel like a jail sentence some days and it's just time to move on.

buffrider

Mame
Reaction score
Do u think he would ship some to the US? I saw a shohin maple that I liked.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do u think he would ship some to the US? I saw a shohin maple that I liked.

I don't think he is able to do this. I have asked Walter about some of his trees that are for sale and he says it is impossible to import trees from Europe to USA.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Importing trees to the U.S. from overseas is an expensive and complicated process. It requires proper documentation and a lengthy quarrantine period at a qualified facility. That process adds considerable time and expense of the importer. If you did import a tree, it could require two years in quarrantine, along with associated care and shipping costs...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
To maintain a collection of that size and quality would be almost a full-time job. I can understand how you would want to downsize. However it would be difficult for me to get rid of ALL my trees - I would have to keep a few...

KABUDACHI

Seedling
Reaction score
I have given thought to this... Going about getting rid of my trees. I just can't do it. Years of repotting, Years of watering... Its like raising your kids and giving them away after they reach 21. I understand there could be legitimate reasons... Age, monetary, Health but I still would struggle. Im not judging this artist but breaks my heat.

I love all my trees so much and for now at 35, a good job and pretty healthy im hanging on. I wish Craig the best. I have followed him for years.

James

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I have given thought to this... Going about getting rid of my trees. I just can't do it...Years of repotting, Years of watering....I love all my trees so much and for now at 35, a good job and pretty healthy im hanging on. I wish Craig the best. I have followed him for years."

Wait until you're fifty and trying to heft three or four 75-160 lb bonsai into winter storage for the 20th year in a row and then having all winter to anticipate wrestling some of those same trees in a repotting ordeal that could REALLY mess up your back (as it has in the past) ...I genuinely love all my trees, but like children, there comes a time when they really have to leave home or someone is going to die...:D

That time hasn't arrived for me yet and I am still quite capable of wrangling 150 lbs of tree by myself, but it's sure not as easy as it used to be.

Top Bottom