Critter identification - leaf damage

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Noticed something has been munching away at a jap maple. Couldn't see any caterpillars. What could it be?

Please don't say vine weevil. o_O

Attachments

• oronvivel.jpg
    oronvivel.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 61

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I keep my yuri hime in a cage because squirrels will defoliate it. Must be delicious?

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To be clear, I cut the leafs off, to photograph them. I meant to ask about the small damages to the leafs. It would be a very careful squirrel to bit holes like that. :)

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nothing was unclear and my guess is still a squirrel. IMO all mystery nibbling should carry a squirrel presumption!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't think any critter cause that damage at all. Some maple leaves are like that... deformed. Could be cause by some kind of fungus. I have plenty of leave like that on mine.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stinkbugs can suck a patch of a leaf dry and when that patch dies, it leaves a hole. They only attack emerging foliage, so it would make sense that you see most of the damage later when that foliage expands.

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks those are plentiful here
Stinkbugs can suck a patch of a leaf dry and when that patch dies, it leaves a hole. They only attack emerging foliage, so it would make sense that you see most of the damage later when that foliage expands.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And in essence, you can't kill the ones that damage your plants before they damage your plant.. Because they suck, fly off, and die wherever. Then the next one comes along.
So I think it's best to just accept it.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Most likely caterpillar or slug feeding damage, so try checking the plant at night with a torch and you may find the culprit(s) and then squash it!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Given the type of symptoms that's not such a likely cause in Europe or UK unless youve got microsquirrells!!
Ah. This is yet another instance where it's annoying that you can't see the location on mobile.

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the answers. I am happy no-one wrote vine weevil.

Top Bottom