Cryptomeria Black Dragon Spring Bud Swell/Foliage Growth

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
IMG_3181.jpeg

IMG_3153.jpeg

IMG_3151.jpeg

Questions:

Does pinching back the foliage tips encourage interior branch maturity/making it more woody?

Does pinching back new/lighter foliage tip growth on primaries create ramification?

Additional thoughts:

I am happy with the current height of the tree. How, then, do I prevent it from out growing the height?

Does a trunk chop at the top and eventually wiring up a lateral branch as new leader work?

Also, does that action push energy down into tree and mature the primary/laterals?

CaptColin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not as much info out there on cryptomeria japonica as some other species as I'm sure you've found. I like to let the buds push into may/June and then prune back. This has resulted in good backbudding for me. Man these branches take forever to get woody/aged looking! I am in love with the foliage though.

Natty Bumppo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My 1st foray into bonsai was with a cryptomeria I bought from a home improvement center. Still have it. Would like to get another. I've noticed there isn't much posted about cryptos here. They grow reasonably quickly, don't mind Missouri sun and heat, and seem to backbud readily.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My 1st foray into bonsai was with a cryptomeria I bought from a home improvement center. Still have it. Would like to get another. I've noticed there isn't much posted about cryptos here. They grow reasonably quickly, don't mind Missouri sun and heat, and seem to backbud readily.
I lopped a less woody primary branch in half to test the tree’s ability to backbud, and the tree responded with tons of new short and tight foliage along the branch and to the shoulder/connection point at the trunk. Nearly an instant short branch and pad was created.

Mine is slower to grow (as I’ve heard they are slow growers). The trunk is maturing higher up this year but it’s crawling.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not as much info out there on cryptomeria japonica as some other species as I'm sure you've found. I like to let the buds push into may/June and then prune back. This has resulted in good backbudding for me. Man these branches take forever to get woody/aged looking! I am in love with the foliage though.
Same!

Top Bottom