Curious About My Flying Dragon

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce!
There's my baby ❣️ in all her unruly beauty. I cut out some deadwood while she was sleeping and opened the canopy a little. I'm going to try my first airlayer on that low branch once it leafs out.

Last edited:

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They’re fun! I’ve had this one for about 10 years. They get gnarly and grow in all directions. I just let mine grow out then cut back from time to time. Mine is just a “for fun” tree. Don’t really know what kind of potential this species has.
They look awesome! That’s why I wanted one is because they are so different. And that’s really my attitude don’t know what kind a potential has or what it’s gonna turn out like but it out to be interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Sorce!
There's my baby ❣️ in all her unruly beauty. I cut out some deadwood while she was sleeping and opened the canopy a little. I'm going to try my first airlayer on that low branch once it leafs out.
She is a beauty, unruly and all !! If you can remember if you will post a picture when she leaves out that would be amazing. 🥰 If you don’t mind me asking what soil mixture do you have her planted in? And is that the same soil you have had her in for most of her years?

Last edited:

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Joe_B

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They look awesome! That’s why I wanted one is because they are so different. And that’s really my attitude don’t know what kind a potential has or what it’s gonna turn out like but it out to be interesting. Thanks for sharing!
Yes and I will say that they are quite resilient which is nice. I think I cut this one back several times in a season once and it flushed right back with new leaves no issue.. good luck with yours! Might be a good time to wire that trunk

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello ! So this is my first post and I’m totally a Noob, actually probably not even to that stage yet. ;-) I’m still learning terminology and super basics. Anyways I acquired this Flying Dragon the other day and was wondering if anybody has one of these or has experience with these? From what I understand they do not need wired as they twist and bend on their own as they grow. Any feedback on these guys and how you specifically do pruning around or on those brutal thorns once they develop would be awesome. I haven’t planted it yet because obviously the pot I got for it is way too big. Also how small of a pot would you go? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Personal advice is find another interested masochist and pass along for infinitely less painful subject treeo_O.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ever considered anger counseling😂?
Ha ha !! You are the funny one tonight! Thanks for the smile😜 I love a challenge so I think I’ll keep her. No pain no gain, right? Anger counseling lol Throwing pottery, bonsai and coffee are total anger counseling, but probably more expensive. They keep me sane and everyone else safe 😂

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She is a beauty, unruly and all !! If you can remember if you will post a picture when she leaves out that would be amazing. 🥰 If you don’t mind me asking what soil mixture do you have her planted in? And is that the same soil you have had her in for most of her years?
I've got it in sifted pumice right now and has been for a few years. Before that it was in turface and pumice mix. Before that it was in just turface. It seems to grow just as well in whatever it's in. I feed every couple of weeks a 6:7:6 with a couple of acidic mix 7:6:6 interspersed during the summer.

TonyFtLaud

Seed
Reaction score
Does anybody know if these backbud?
I have one with a thick base but about 4ft of bare trunk before an explosion of branch growth. Id like to take air layers off the top growth and eventually chop the trunk if possible.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have never layered one, all of mine are seed grown. Citrus usually layers well so I don't see why not. Mine throw out random buds a lot the trunk all the time so back-budding should not be a problem.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one with a thick base but about 4ft of bare trunk before an explosion of branch growth. Id like to take air layers off the top growth and eventually chop the trunk if possible.
My smaller one air layered super easy and did back bud.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are basally dominant trees so they make a lot of new shoots from the base of the trunk and if these are allowed to grow out the top portion will die back and the tree becomes a bush.
I haven't airlayered mine, but I have taken many cuttings. They root well with a little humidity hut setup.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't wire mine too much, I use mostly guy-wires and fishing weights to try "direct" branch placement. Your's is quite small, I would not put it in a small pot, I would plant it in something larger to let it grow out and thicken. I like to use oil drain pans from the Dollar Tree, just drill some hole in them.

Here is mine:https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/flying-dragon-2.48063/
Hey I have 4 of these mine also from seed. What was your process regarding getting them that thick? Did you allow them to go dormant? What was pruning like etc anything and everything u have to share. Would love for mine to get to that point.

Top Bottom